Project Chimps, a chimpanzee sanctuary located on 236-acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Morganton, Georgia, is accepting applications for the position of Chimpanzee Caregiver. A Chimpanzee Caregiver supports the mission of Project Chimps by providing high-quality care to the chimpanzees in a safe and secure manner in a team environment. This position reports directly to the Manager of Chimpanzee Care.
* Contribute to a positive and professional organizational culture that promotes Project Chimps' values, mission, and vision
* Directly responsible for the well-being, safety, and security of the chimpanzees and Project Chimps personnel during the work day
* Perform the following tasks in the care and husbandry of captive chimpanzees: shifting chimpanzees and accessing housing areas in a safe and secure manner; preparation and provision of meals and enrichment; cleaning and sanitizing of housing, bedding, toys, and enrichment devices; administration of medications; conduct positive reinforcement training as needed
* Monitor the general health and well-being of the chimpanzees
* Maintain records
* Provide training and guidance to volunteers and entry-level employees
* All other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED required; Bachelor's degree in a scientific field preferred
A minimum of two years' paid and/or unpaid (volunteer) experience in great ape husbandry and care is required. Experience with chimpanzees is preferred, but individuals with experience in the care of other large apes will be considered. PLEASE NOTE: Applications from individuals who do not meet this experience requirement will not be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Familiarity with chimpanzee husbandry, care, enrichment, and behavior
Ability to work safely and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
Ability to think strategically, be flexible, and use good judgement
Ability to work cooperatively in a team of individuals with diverse backgrounds, education, and experience
Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
Computer skills, including word processing and database management
Basic math skills, in particular addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and measurements
Because effective communication is essential to maintain safe working conditions and respond effectively to emergencies, the ability to speak, write, and understand English is required.
The following physical requirements are considered to be essential for this position: the ability to stand, walk, run in the face of danger, and climb stairs, 20/20 binocular vision and peripheral vision with or without corrective lenses, the ability to hear with or without hearing aids, the ability to speak with or without assistive devices, the ability to use arms with a full range of overhead motion, the ability to use hands and fingers, the ability to bend and squat, and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. (22.7 kg) without assistance.
Individuals who are offered a position will also have to meet medical screening and vaccination requirements, and complete a background check. Project Chimps participates in E-Verify.
Project Chimps is an equal opportunity employer.