Public History Intern (Permanent & Special Exhibition Galleries)
- Provide historical interpretation within one of our two gallery museums in order for visitors to receive an enhanced educational experience.
- Provide visitors with interactive experiences and historical content using museum gallery exhibits as appropriate.
- Work in professional dress appropriate to assigned duties.
- Respond to emergency situations as trained.
- Maintain interactive gallery exhibits as instructed.
- Mentorships will be provided by experienced Gallery Docents and state required training will be provided.
- Work effectively with Interpretive Services and Visitor Services staff to provide a quality visitor experience consistent with the Foundation's mission.
- Maintain time and attendance records on a daily basis.
There are four positions for learning focus:
1. Gallery Interpreter (Jamestown Settlement & American Revolution Museum at Yorktown)
2. Gallery Tour Guide (Jamestown Settlement Currently Only)
3. Outdoor Gallery Tour Guide (Jamestown Settlement Currently Only)
4. Non-costumed Interpretive Station/NCIS (Jamestown Settlement and American Revolution Museum at Yorktown)
Outreach Education & Special Services: Office of Volunteer Services and Visitor Services. Interpretive methodology and Foundational training will be provided for each intern.
Desired Qualifications and/or Skills:
- Good public contact skills and speaking ability.
- Good customer services skills with internal and external customers.
- Desire to learn history and interest in sharing knowledge with the public.