Beach Club Management Internship
DEPARTMENT: Culinary Arts
JOB TITLE: Beach Management Intern (Snack Bar & Beachside Grill)
SUPERVISES: All Beach Club Culinary staff including Front of the House Servers in Snack bar / Beach Side Grill
BENEFITS: Housing, Meals, Paid Internship.
Position available: May through September 2020
This Seasonal position reports to the Beach Club Chef and is responsible for managing the day to day operations of the Beach Club Snack Bar and Beach side Grill. This position may also be assigned other food and beverage duties and will also encompass some special project assignments and exposure to other operational areas of the Club based on Westchester Country Club business needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Keeping in mind that this is an educational internship, the roll of the intern is to act and grow as a supervisor. A training program will be discussed in order to ensure the ability meet the expected standards. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and/or satisfy the productivity, performance or qualification standards for the position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Will produce work at the line level as well as spend extensive hours developing the staff and training standards. Line level work includes but is not limited to; washing pots, mopping, moving equipment and objects, doing inventory and covering shifts.
- Responsible in part for hiring and training of front and back of the house staff on new menu items, menu descriptions and kitchen procedures.
- Conduct and participate in daily pre- shift meetings in order to answer staff questions daily.
- Ability to work with and or oversee any beach hourly position in addition to receiving food, beverage and service goods.
- Responsible for executing daily purchasing according to par levels, ensure that invoices are being coded to the appropriate accounts and are not exceeding budget. Work with Beach Club Chef to supervise Receiver of food position.
- Responsible for maintaining the appropriate sanitation level in the culinary department by enforcing weekly and daily audits an accordance with closing lists.
- Responsible for learning progressive discipline methods and administering them as necessary, including coaching, counseling, warnings and potential suspensions up to termination. This includes documenting any and all performance issues or incidents.
- Responsible for developing and updating materials to keep information up to date and to continue with the improvement of beach food service for the following season’s team.
- Embody Leadership role through impeccable line of conduct and crisp, professional appearance (Full White Chef’s Uniform, Intern Polo & Khaki Shorts, closed toe shoes with anti slip soles) at all times, especially when interacting with members and staff
- In this leadership role, critical traits include drive, self motivation, the ability to delegate and a strong sense of commitment.
- Adhere to all WCC Management Guidelines, Policies, & Procedures (including WCC employee handbook, Culinary Department Guidelines and Mission statement)
- Carry out all reasonable requests made by the Executive Chef, Executive Sous Chef and Beach Culinary Manager in a professional and timely fashion.
- Work schedule: 50-60 hours per week over 5, 6 and occasionally 7 days as needed
- Available to work Weekends, Nights, Early AM shifts and Holidays.
Education and Experience:
- Should be enrolled in a culinary degree or hospitality management program.
- Needs to have a minimum of six months of service, bussing, pot washing or cooking experience
- Should have a Food Handlers / Sanitation license.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements/Specialized Courses and/or Training:
- Computer Proficient in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Excel, MS Outlook, MS Word and Powerpoint)
- Previous knowledge of Jonas POS System helpful
- Able to read labels and understand HACCP and SDS training guidelines
Westchester Country Club is an equal opportunity employer