Milieu Treatment Counselor Intern
A volunteer internship at Orchard Place Campus offers college students the opportunity to integrate classroom theory into practice. Volunteer interns acquire first-hand experience interacting with emotionally troubled children in an inpatient psychiatric setting while earning college credit. Volunteer internships are available throughout the academic school year as well as during the summer months.
Volunteer interns observe and interact with the residents in the inpatient program under the direct supervision of the Milieu Treatment Coordinator and Milieu Treatment Counselors. During the educational experience the volunteer interns are not asked to supervise residents by themselves and they do not count in the staff to resident ratio.
Interns generally volunteer between 15 – 20 hours per week. The best hours to volunteer are between 4 – 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and any time between 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. We ask that interns volunteer some hours on the weekends as the schedule is different when the residents are not in school.
Examples of some of the educational experiences that volunteer interns may have include:
- Interacting with residents by playing card or board games as requested by Milieu Treatment Counselor.
- Observing and assist with small and large group activities as requested by Milieu Treatment Counselor.
- Attending periodic staff development training sessions and team meetings as volunteer hours allow.
- Assisting Milieu Treatment Counselors in maintaining the overall appearance of the facility. This includes assisting with teaching and helping residents with building and meal time chores.
- Observing Milieu Treatment Counselors maintaining the safety and security of the residents by setting limits and maintaining structure and routines.
- Observing Milieu Treatment Counselors implementing individuals care plans with the residents.