Music Instructor Intern
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Music Coordinator, the Music Instructor Intern will support youth music programs by assisting with after school lessons in the evenings in one or more of the following areas: brass, piano, guitar, choir, praise band, and dance.
Available for a minimum 15 hours per week. At least a 3-month commitment. Dates, times, and locations vary and include DC and surrounding counties: Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, Montgomery, and Prince George's. Some locations are metro accessible and others have free parking.
Assignments may include but not be limited to the following:
· Arrive on time or early and prepare with Lead Instructor
· Teach music theory, or vocal or instrumental lessons
· Foster caring relationships with youth, taking their lead
· Commit at least 3 consecutive months to the classes and the students
· Undergo interview process, background check, and possibly short child-safety training course
· Enthusiasm for The Salvation Army’s mission and the families we serve, and an open and friendly spirit.
· Completed or working towards a college degree, preferably in a related field.
· Strong written and oral communication skills.
· Desire to work with youth
· Previous experience with music or music theory, particularly need skills such as playing an instrument or singing
· Comfort with prayer before meals
· All volunteers recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as a volunteer of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission
Ability to project a professional and positive image of The Salvation Army.