Dream University Summer Youth Worker
DREAM (formerly known as Harlem RBI), an award winning sports-based youth development program, is seeking dynamic, motivated individuals to serve as Youth Workers to aid in education and the coordination of our 4-week DREAM University summer program. DREAM University runs from July 8th through August 2nd. DREAM University will serve approximately 150 6th, 7th and 8th graders and will include an academic morning in a local college, a recreational afternoon and Friday day-long field trips. DREAM University Youth Workers will be assigned to a cohort of 25 students that they will provide support to throughout the day. All DREAM University Youth Workers will report to the DREAM University Program Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide support to a class of 20-25 Middle School youth through behavior management, academic support, workshop co-facilitation, athletics participation and family outreach;
- Support the implementation of programming focused on project- and service-based learning, adolescent literacy, teambuilding and life skills;
- Assist in leading Friday field trips, and other special events to reinforce program objectives;
- Practice DREAM teaching methods, including group work and teambuilding, experiential and project-based learning methodologies;
- Uphold and model DREAM values and youth development principles for all youth and colleagues;
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness and preparation.
- High school diploma and college enrollment or degree required (current college students are strongly encouraged to apply);
- Experience working with youth in a classroom or youth development setting;
- A record of success in facilitating and managing groups of youth;
- Ability to work collaboratively with co-workers and supervisors;
- Strong oral and written communication skills and presentation skills;
- Desire to go above and beyond to pursue results.