Summer Day Camp Youth Workers (East Harlem & South Bronx)
DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI), an award winning sports-based youth development program, is seeking dynamic, motivated individuals to serve as Summer Youth Workers in an innovative sports and literacy-based summer program for youth in grades K-5 in East Harlem and in the South Bronx. DREAM’s program provides youth with a full day of educational, enrichment and baseball activities designed to foster a positive learning environment, build character and reverse summer learning loss.
Role & Responsibilities
- Collaborating with co-leaders to facilitate lesson plans that focus on helping youth build social-emotional skills in areas such as teamwork, conflict resolution and self-esteem;
- Serving as an assistant teacher, helping to implement daily reading activities in an innovative literacy program intended to improve reading skills and enthusiasm for reading;
- Coaching and organizing baseball/softball teams for teams of elementary school-aged participants;
- Leading recreational activities and chaperoning off-site enrichment field trips;
- Supervising and managing team and individual behavior at all times using positive discipline techniques and pro-active interventions to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all youth;
- Participating in training, professional development and tactical meetings.
The summer season commitment is from June 17th-August 9th. Service hours are generally Monday – Thursday from 8:00am-5:15pm and Friday from 8:00am-3:15pm.
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- College-involvement: current student or graduate of a 2 or 4 year institution/vocational program;
- Knowledge of baseball/softball is preferred but not required;
- Experience working with groups of children;
- Passion to work in a team environment and meet high expectations for youth and staff;
- Ability to take initiative while maintaining confidence, flexibility and enthusiasm;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s organizational values of teamwork, diversity, integrity and fun.