Founding School & Family Social Worker
DREAM (formerly known as DREAM Charter School and Harlem RBI), an innovative educational and youth development organization, is seeking a dynamic and engaging professional to serve as a School and Family Social Worker. DREAM’s South Bronx Elementary School is charged with preparing students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship.
Like all DREAM employees, the School and Family Social Worker should demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of DREAM and should have substantial expertise in all areas of responsibility. As a member of a founding school, they should also demonstrate the drive and persistence required to lead a new school in its founding year. Come join an organization that was recently recognized as one of the “50 Best Non-Profits to Work For” by The Nonprofit Times.
- Provide mandated counseling services to students with IEPs and “at risk” counseling services to identified groups and individual students;
- Collaborate with teachers and leaders on school-wide interventions regarding topics such as stress, anxiety, conflict resolution, bullying, etc;
- Ensure all services are in compliance with mandates and maintain case records, monthly reports, and IEP reports on SESIS;
- Provide crisis intervention, assessing high-risk situations and making immediate recommendations and referrals;
- Act as RTI Case Manager for general education students identified as at-risk.
- Build and maintain positive trust-based relationships with DREAM scholars and families;
- Plan, execute, and track Family Engagement activities and events including Family Visits, Cafes, and Conferences;
- Manage and support the growth and development of the DREAM Family Action Council (DFAC);
- Drive production of DREAM family communication including family facing fliers, emails, texts, robo calls, letters and handouts.
Founding School and School Culture Responsibilities:
- Share responsibilities for lunch, recess, and late scholar pick-up as needed;
- Collaborate with leadership to support teachers in understanding learners and families strengths and needs and support differentiated instruction and communication;
- Attend and be an active participant in all professional development opportunities.
- Direct experience in social work and/or family engagement in a diverse, low-income community;
- New York State LCSW or LMSW or LCMH certification required;
- 3-5 years of previous school-based counseling experience preferred;
- A track record of engaging and supporting students by partnering with families;
- Ability to embrace the opportunities and challenges that come with founding a new school, including assuming the best, leading with a learning and solutions-oriented mindset, and demonstrated ability to persevere and think quickly;
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community;
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s organizational values of teamwork, diversity, integrity, and fun;
- Bilingual Spanish/English required.
DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.