Elementary School PE Teacher
DREAM Charter School, a rigorous, Pre-K-11th grade public charter school in East Harlem, is seeking a dynamic individual to serve as an Elementary School Physical Education/Health Teacher. DREAM Charter School's mission is to prepare students for high-performing high schools, colleges and beyond through a rigorous academic program that develops critical thinkers who demonstrate a love of learning, strong character, and a commitment to wellness and active citizenship. Join a team that is making a difference in East Harlem and is committed to the mission of helping students recognize their potential and realize their dreams.
DREAM is part of the Harlem RBI family. Harlem RBI serves over 1,500 East Harlem youth by providing free, high-quality summer and after-school programs to youth ages 5-22 years in an intensive multi-year commitment that connects youth and families to age-appropriate programs and passionate professional staff over time. Harlem RBI was recently recognized as one of the Best 50 Non-Profits to Work For in the country by The Nonprofit Times.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead and engage students in physical activities to improve health and increase overall physical activity;
- Plan and implement physical education curriculum for upper elementary and middle school students;
- Meet regularly to share best practices with grade team and other colleagues;
- Ensure that physical education classes emphasize participation, cooperation and teamwork;
- Follow all school-wide systems and procedures in the classroom and hallways;
- Maintain high academic and behavioral expectations for all students;
- Organize and lead healthy living activities with students and staff;
- Establish a strong classroom culture through structured procedures and strong relationships with students and their families.
- Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education required;
- Master’s Degree in Physical Education/Health preferred;
- A minimum of two-years teaching experience preferred;
- Valid New York State certifications preferred;
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred;
- Passionate about healthy living and physical wellness;
- Significant understanding of skill development and instruction;
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families and community;
- A commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at risk of educational failure.
DREAM salary is highly competitive with the New York City Department of Education and other charter schools, and is based on experience and qualifications. All DREAM teachers receive a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement account, life insurance and access to social services through our Employee Assistance Program.