A Launch Year Program!
Full-time, residential, salaried position. Includes room & board and health benefits.
A 1-2 year experience of providing leadership and service to others.
Through our RamaYear program, recent college graduates devote a year or two of their early careers to an immersive, residential, year-round service experience on our Rhinebeck, NY campus. At Ramapo, these young adults spend their days working with groups of youth and educators on outdoor adventure-based retreats that build teamwork and communication skills. They design activities to meet each retreat group’s needs and goals, and lead teambuilding games and leadership development exercises. RamaYear staff live with and serve as mentors to our Staff Assistants: young adults, 18-25 years old, who seek to become self-sufficient and build social, independent living and job skills. Additionally, RamaYear play key roles in Camp Ramapo, a traditional summer camp experience for children ages 6-16 with social, emotional or learning challenges.
At the outset, new RamaYear staff members receive intensive training in Ramapo’s approach and philosophy, acquiring a toolbox of skills and strategies to create environments that foster success. Through their experiences leading retreat groups, mentoring Staff Assistants and being a part of Camp Ramapo, they strive to embody these practices and role model them effectively each day.
- Design activities to meet each retreat group’s needs and goals, and lead teambuilding games and leadership development exercises
- RamaYear staff live with and serve as mentors and job coaches to our Staff Assistants: young adults with learning differences, ADHD and/or autism spectrum disorders who seek to become self-sufficient and build social, independent living and job skills.
- Work with 12,000 children, young adults, educators and youth workers who visit campus each year
- Facilitate outdoor adventure-based, community building retreats for groups of youth and adults from urban schools, inclusive organizations, community groups and businesses
- Manage all outdoor activities: lead hikes, facilitate ropes courses, build campfires, facilitate indoor and outdoor climbing walls, and much more
- Create emotionally safe environments for young people, and live and work in an inclusive community
- Be part of a team of dedicated and passionate professionals
What You'll Gain: A foundation for lifelong leadership: get an extraordinary professional experience and essential career and life skills to help you stand out in a competitive job market.
- Develop exceptional team-building, leadership and management skills
- Receive state of the art training in program planning and group management of the kind Ramapo provides to over 12,000 teachers and youth service professionals in NYC
- Gain intensive, hands-on experience with a wide range of populations
- Learn to quickly build relationships with individuals with diverse backgrounds and needs
- Improve your ability to manage projects, solve problems, resolve conflicts and communicate effectively
- Increase your self-confidence and make a positive difference in the lives of children and adults