Shelter Intern (Grinnellink)
Supervisor: On-site Supervisor Lead Shelter Advocate, Pearl Hammes, email@example.com
Primary purpose of position: As a trained Victim Counselor, alongside CIS staff, intern will provide advocacy and support for persons affected by domestic abuse, sexual assault, or other crises.
Time Needed: At least 8-24 hours per week
Basic Duties: Projects around shelter including organizing and cleaning. Assist clients in searching for housing, filling out job applications and assistance forms. Provide childcare during goal sessions or support group, or transportation to the Ecumenical Cupboard (food pantry) or Wal-Mart. Answer the crisis hotlines, restock supplies, sort and stow donations, Clean Team projects (janitorial, landscaping, organizational), outreach services, and administrative tasks.
· Reliable and the ability to keep information confidential.
· Ability and willingness to work independently.
· Conduct oneself in a professional, non-judgmental manner.
· Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and reliable transportation to get to the Shelter in Oskaloosa. Intern Advocate will provide transportation to clients in an agency vehicle.
· Ability to hold appropriate professional boundaries.
· Successfully pass reference and background checks, including: criminal, sex offender, child and dependent adult abuse.
Application and onboarding contact: Contact CIS Volunteer Coordinator Debbie Cummings @ 641-673-0336 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Training: Victim Counselor Training (VCT) is a 20-hour online training to be completed before beginning internship and hands-on training internally. Iowa Code 915.20A grants confidentiality and victim counselor privilege to those who complete this training, and therefore, successful completion of this training is mandatory.