DoD Safe Helpline Shift Manager (3 pm - 11 pm)
As a key member of RAINN's Victim Services management team, the Safe Helpline Shift Manager will be responsible for ensuring the proper provision of services to users of the Safe Helpline. The Shift Manager will provide on-site, direct supervision of staff providing services through the helpline. The Shift Manager is a full-time position, exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight, quality assurance of services and manage employees for assigned SHL shifts;
- Monitor helpline sessions and provide support and guidance to staff.
- Provide ongoing training and feedback to employees on assigned shift.
- Manage a team of assigned staff, check-in with staff monthly, and evaluate employee performance bi-annually.
- Respond appropriately, and in a timely manner, to employee complaints and questions.
- Identify areas of opportunity for staffer improvement. Work with and advise staffers to help them build skills and improve feedback scores.
- Evaluate helpline staff and advise Safe Helpline Program Manager on suitability and need for promotions, skill development, discipline and other personnel matters.
- Ensure the work culture and employee behaviors maintain a level of professionalism in accordance with RAINN and SHL staff handbooks and policies.
- Elevate all concerns and policy violations about workplace behavior and quality of services to SHL senior management in a timely fashion.
- Use critical thinking skills, following RAINN and SHL policies to make independent, real-time staff and service decisions.
- Attend and participate in Shift Manager meetings to exchange information regarding shift trends, staff needs, policies and procedures.
- Lead efforts to ensure that resources provided to users are accurate through semi-annual call throughs to military responders.
- Participate in the planning, writing, and facilitation of in-service meetings.
- Responsible for hiring of new staffer and assistant shift manager positions, including interview and candidate selection.
- Maintain knowledge of RAINN's policies and procedures and provide ongoing feedback to the Safe Helpline Program Manager.
- Maintain knowledge of DoD SAPRO and other military policies and protocols and provide ongoing feedback regarding ways to meet and exceed DoD standards.
- Provide feedback to the Safe Helpline Program Manager regarding additional training topics or suggested revisions to training.
- Complete session assessments.
- Foster open communications with staff and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement.
- Follow RAINN and SHL policy and protocols, address short-term shift needs by initiating actions to find coverage and adjust employee schedules during shift as needed.
- Be available to fill in for other Shift Managers when needed.
- Submit end-of-shift reports.
- Serve as moderator and reviewer on the Safe Helproom.
- Demonstrate specialized Safe Helpline knowledge and sexual assault service skills.
- Provide direct support to individuals in the DoD community affected by sexual violence.
- Coach staff utilizing RAINN's direct service and supervision policies as needed.
- Gather necessary information from Safe Helpline users and provide appropriate referrals.
- Work with Safe Helpline users to determine needs and provide follow-up support to ensure users connect with recommended resources.
- Triage and respond to mandatory reports on shift or on-call.
- All other duties as assigned.
Position Specific Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Must possess excellent English-language communications skills (oral and written). Possess ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with visitors, general public and other employees within the organization.
- 2+ years experience working or volunteering in a social services field, preferably crisis intervention services; 2+ years' experience managing paid staff, preferably in environments with multiple work shifts.
- Must type a minimum of 35 wpm with accuracy, and demonstrate ease of use with technology including instant messaging.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain composure during stressful situations; ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities.
- Must be comfortable addressing difficult staffing situations and managing remediation.
- Ability to foster team work, work cooperatively and effectively with others to resolve problems and make decisions that enhance the program's effectiveness.
- Ability to lead, positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the program/organization.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a wide range of situations.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions written and oral.
- Ability to exercise good judgment when faced with complex decisions.
- Resiliently positive and energetic attitude with the ability to successfully work on a team and independently.
- Willingness and ability to work a non-traditional schedule which includes evenings/weekends and/or holidays.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to work on-site at RAINN's office and to attend meetings there as required.
- Must be comfortable discussing issues surrounding sexual violence.
- Must complete a criminal background check (administered by RAINN).
- Ability to work two federal holidays per year as assigned by the SHL Program Manager.
- Veterans; those with Department of Veterans Affairs or VA MST Coordinator experience will be given priority.
- Master's degree in social work, psychology or related field.
- Experience with military populations.
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the essential functions, responsibilities and/or requirements.
TO APPLY: Submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements to SHL Program Manager
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls.