Research Physical Therapist
The US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine (USARIEM) is an internationally recognized center of excellence for Warfighter health and performance. Our research studies are conducted by scientists from our four research divisions, working in concert with one another, as well as other world-class scientists from government, industry and academia. The Military Performance Division of USARIEM conducts research to enhance the performance (physical, cognitive, behavioral and psychomotor) of military occupational tasks, or to prevent performance decrements due to physical overload, nutritional imbalances, environmental and operational stresses, and musculoskeletal injuries.
The participant(s) will assist with evaluating the influence of early access to musculoskeletal (MSK) injury expertise and targeted education & training to reduce injury rates as part of a large multi-faceted research study. Through participation in this research appointment, participants will have the opportunity to expand their skill sets, and to gain valuable training and experience to further their scientific development. Additionally, as part of the research, the participant(s) may:
- Assist in the collection and analyses of data
- Support Tactical Athlete Training Courses to improve the non-trauma skills of Army medics
- Assist in the conduct of physical performance and injury risk screenings
- Collaborate in supporting the project team to provide forward based MSK care to Soldiers in training and clinic-based MSK care to Soldiers
- Assist with assessing Reconditioning Physical Readiness Training (PRT) programs
- Assist in providing injury prevention education classes to Soldiers, medical providers, and leadership as appropriate
- Participate in supporting the establishing temporary treatment sites at PRT and field training events to evaluate and triage injuries
This appointment is a twelve month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by USAMRMC-RIEM. Stipends are typically based on the participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
- Current Physical Therapy Licensure
- Eligible to be licensed to practice in the state of Georgia
- First Aid/CPE/AED Certified
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and sound skills in written and oral communication
- Must be able to pass a Federal Background Check
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (word, outlook, and excel)
- Two years of physical therapy experience preferred but not required
- 1-2 years of research experience preferred but not required