PRINCIPAL RESEARCH ENGINEER - ROBOTICS
ASPIRE Lab – (Automation of Surgical Procedures through Intelligent Robotic Enhancement)
We are a world-class robotic surgery development lab that is dedicated to creating solutions that translate ideas for advanced clinical practices in robotic surgery into products that impact patient care.
Performs routine engineering investigations in support of current research or product development efforts using engineering software analysis tools. Prepares design sketches or drawings for components, sub-assemblies, processes or equipment using CAD or 3-D solid modeling software. Assists with the design, development, and evaluation of prototype medical devices, equipment, and software. Assists with preparation and evaluation of test protocols and test specimens. Prepares charts, graphs and other documentation in support of articles for publication, project reports and grant applications.
- Performs independent analysis, investigation, and planning of specific engineering criteria, characteristics and features to meet assignment goals.
- Assumes responsibility for the planning, organizing, directing and coordinating of a wide variety of complex program initiatives.
- Conducts continuing studies and analyses to determine the feasibility of various advanced engineering approaches to define concepts and criteria for further programs or to resolve major problems in current programs.
- Resolves technical problems requiring the use of advanced theories, concepts and principles.
- Leads in the development of prototypes, medical devices, equipment or software.
- Assigns components of the project initiatives to other engineers, technicians and designers and oversees the work.
- Collaborates with other engineers/investigators on major changes in project initiatives as they relate to other assignments, funds and priorities.
- Prepares cost estimates and monitors expenditures.
- Provides recommendations on the purchase of new equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Biomedical, Mechanical, or Electrical, Software Engineering or related field.
- Advanced degree desirable.
- None required
COMPLEXITY OF WORK:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- A minimum of six years of directly related experience required or Master's Degree with four years of experience.
- Experience and interest in one or more of the following areas preferred: surgical robotics, vision processing, AI, deep learning, ROS, LabVIEW, physics simulations, sensor fusion, and control systems.
- Duties may require some bending, lifting, standing, and sitting for long periods.
- Possible exposure to animal tissue, blood borne pathogens, chemical and biological reagents, and moving mechanical and electrical components.
- Position may require some manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination also required.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic’s Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities