2020 Fall Internship at Naval Postgraduate School
The Research Participant Program at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) is designed to attract talented undergraduate and graduate students, and recent graduates to opportunities carefully designed to prepare and motivate participants toward the full range of entry and mid-level research in technical and professional positions in science, technology, engineering and mathematics at the Naval Postgraduate School.
As a participant in the Research Participant Program at the Naval Postgraduate School, you will have the opportunity to explore a federal career and gain a competitive edge as you apply your education, talent, and skills in a variety of settings.
About the Naval Postgraduate School
The mission of the Naval Postgraduate School provides relevant and advanced educational and research experience to commissioned officers of the Naval Service to increase their combat effectiveness and enhance the security of the United States. In support of this mission as well as to sustain academic excellence, NPS and the U.S. Department of the Navy (DoN) foster and encourage an academic program of relevant and meritorious naval research. NPS research supports the needs of the Navy and the U.S. Department of Defense while also building the intellectual capital of Naval Postgraduate School.
For more information about NPS, visit https://my.nps.edu/.
The Research Participant Program at the Naval Postgraduate School provides stipends to participants based on the following scale:
- High School student
- Undergraduate student
- Graduate and post-graduate student
Appointments offered during the summer months are approximately 10-weeks in length. Extensions may be granted based on the needs of the sponsoring office and the candidate's availability. Appointments during the academic year may also be available.
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, NPS, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
The Research Participant Program at the Naval Postgraduate School is open to all students and recent graduates who meet the following qualifications:
- U.S. Citizens at the time of application.
- Individuals 16 years of age or older by the application deadline.
- Have completed an NPS STEM Internship program.
- Meet one of the following conditions:
- Currently enrolled as a high school student
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited institution of higher education pursuing a degree in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) discipline, or have interest or experience in a STEM field.
- Have completed an undergraduate (B.A., B.S. or equivalent) or graduate (M.S., DVM, Ph.D., MD or equivalent) degree within three years of the application deadline in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) disciplines, or have interest or experience in a STEM field.
U.S. Veterans are encouraged to apply. Veteran’s preference will be given to U.S. military veterans who have been honorably discharged and/or have been medically discharged because of a service-connected disability and have received a degree within 3 years of the application deadline.