2020 Belk Retail Development Program - Merchandising
We are reimagining the department store and looking for talented people to join our Belk team!
Retail Development Program Overview
Belk offers talented and ambitious recent graduates the opportunity to work in multiple areas of our business. The Retail Development Program (RDP) is a fast-paced three-month program designed to prepare recent college graduates for a full-time role at Belk. We offer opportunities in several of our business functions including Merchandising, Allocation & Planning, eCommerce and more! The program focuses on key components to support your development: Education, Experience, Exposure, Innovation and Results.
Merchandising - Position Summary
The Retail Development Program – Merchandising prepares you for your first position as an Assistant Buyer. Associates will participate in training workshops, on-the-job project assignments, exposure to senior leaders and networking, and job shadowing other parts of the business. They will be placed within a Buying office to experience the job first-hand. Participants are also matched with mentors to help acclimate to Belk and develop on the job.
The Retail Development Program – Merchandising will hire a class of Merchandising candidates in our Charlotte, NC Headquarters. Participants benefit by having a network of peers in Merchandising as well as various other functions in the Retail Development Program.
On the Job
• Work in a fast paced, dynamic, test and learn environment
• Support and drive the profitability of your buying office/department
• Analyze fashion and business trends while comparing sales and inventory successes and opportunities
• Shop retail market to identify assortment, incoming trends, and pricing opportunities
• Prepare materials for merchant line review. Assist in recapping, finalizing, and communicating style placement to cross functional development teams, agents and vendors
• Assist in executing advertising strategies
• Provide business support through report generation and analysis of business results
- Bachelor's degree required; Strong academic performance (GPA of 3.2 or higher preferred)
- Must have graduated within 6 months of June 2020 and able to start full time June 2020
- Prior internship in field strongly preferred
- Team oriented; can collaborate to achieve results
- Open to learning, able to adapt to changing circumstances and reprioritize tasks as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, customers and all levels of the organization
- Committed to meeting goals within a dynamic, fast-paced and results oriented environment
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require work authorization sponsorship by Belk for this position now or in the future