Health Communications and Social Media Fellowship
*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis.
A research opportunity is available with the Division of Drug Information (DDI), in the Office of Communications (OCOMM), Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), Food and Drug Administration (FDA) located in Silver Spring, Maryland.
This research project will collect and measure the impact of social media efforts, then make recommendations to optimize search and the overall social media strategy. DDI works to optimize CDER’s educational and communication outreach efforts by engaging in effective internal and external interactions to provide timely, accurate, and useful information through traditional and social media channels.
Under the guidance of a mentor, the participant will be trained on:
- analyzing social media post data to develop recommendations for improving communication practices and adding needed content
- investigating the use of digital media to increase engagement on social media
- contributing to the development of materials for social media outreach (videos, photos, messages, and animated gifs)
- identifying and informing on social media trends, help lead innovation, and keep FDA on the cutting-edge
- suggesting an internal and external marketing strategy from research and organizational data to raise awareness of the social media program
- reviewing health information posts to multiple audiences, including consumers, health care professionals and regulated industry
The qualified candidate should be currently pursuing or have received a master's or doctoral degree in one of the relevant fields. Degree must have been received within five years of the appointment start date.
- Proficiency with Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Familiarity using a range of design software, including Adobe CC
- Familiarity with health communication research and data analysis
If you have questions, send an email to ORISE.FDA.CDER@orau.org. Please include the reference code for this opportunity (FDA-CDER-2019-0428) in your email.