Computational Biologist, Machine Perception
Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to understand the biology of aging and devise interventions that enable longer and healthier lives. Executing this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is seeking a computational biologist to develop and apply machine perception techniques for the measurement of physiological parameters from video (and other similar) data collected from model organisms. She/he will make expert use of existing tools as well as develop & implement novel computational methods. The successful candidate will have hands-on experience developing Machine Learning models for visual data and will be enthusiastic about applying such models to answer questions about animal physiology. She/he will collaborate with other scientists to design experiments that will produce appropriately-structured datasets to fully capitalize on the power of machine perception techniques. This scientist will drive the integration of her/his techniques into existing R&D programs and will communicate both technical achievements & experimental results, internally & externally, through written publications and oral/visual presentations.
- An MSc or PhD degree in either computer science or the biological sciences, with 2.5+ years of experience in both areas and an additional 3.5+ years of experience in at least one of those areas (6+ years of total relevant experience).
- Fluency programming in python and proficiency in C++.
- 1.5+ years of hands-on experience using TensorFlow.
- Demonstrated experience with computer vision techniques.
- A desire to work collaboratively and a track record of effective cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Strong communication skills.
Nice to have:
- A strong publication record.
- Post-MSc/PhD research experience, either in academics or industry.
- Experience with DIY electronics & fabrication.