Scientist, Cardiovascular Physiology
Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is inviting applications from talented organismal and molecular biologists to join a discovery research team under the direction of a PI focused on mechanisms that may delay or abrogate aging and age-associated diseases in the naked mole-rat. We are looking for a highly motivated, innovative, and creative person who will focus on studying the mechanisms that may be pertinent to the abrogated cardiovascular aging phenotype of this exceptionally long-lived species. This position will require the ability to develop and implement in vivo and in vitro studies and deploy functional ‘omic platforms in novel model systems. The position is ideal for someone who excels at wet lab and/or computational biology and who is fearless in taking on the challenges involved in studying non-traditional model organisms in our quest to understand and tackle the aging process.
- Design and execute independent research
- Perform both in vivo and ex vivo studies
- Use modern molecular techniques, mammalian cell culture techniques, fluorescence microscopy
- Perform computational analyses of ‘omic data
- Take ownership of projects and also work as part of a collaborative team
- Ph.D. degree in Physiology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Genomics or related fields
- 3+ years of postdoc or equivalent practical/industrial work experience
- Proven ability to take initiative in executing studies, solve problems in the lab, and carry projects to completion, with a good track record of research productivity
- Experience with in vivo or ex vivo mammalian research
- The ideal candidate should have demonstrated success developing and/or applying cutting edge ‘omic technologies in their research. Experience with single-cell RNA-seq (10X / Drop-seq), metabolomics and/or proteomics is desirable.
- Comfort dealing with diverse data sets using common scripting languages (i.e., R, Python, or MATLAB)
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-pace environment with shifting priorities
- Must be capable of working independently, but also an effective team player and enthusiastic collaborator in a cross-functional environment