MTR Camp Educator in Training, Summer 2020
MTR Camp is a paid summer internship for college students passionate about equal education. The program is designed to provide academic enrichment within a summer camp experience for students who attend an MTR partner elementary school. Interns will gain experience in under-resourced neighborhoods in Memphis and get exposure to MTR’s residency program. Interns will also live together in campus housing, explore Memphis, and receive training in effective instructional techniques.
The MTR Camp summer internship distinctives:
- Gain real-world teaching experience as an EIT with the guidance of educational leaders and instructional coaches.
- Exposure to MTR’s Residency program.
- Engage in conversations across racial lines, in deep community, concentrated within a historical and biblical context.
- Develop Christian Community Education values and practices.
- $1,000 stipend and $250 food allowance
- Housing and some meals provided.
All staff will create an engaging and high-energy camp environment for students while performing one of the following roles and leading afternoon enrichment:
Math Teacher: Create a classroom environment that promotes students learning through adapting lessons, teaching lessons, and monitoring independent & group work.
Reading Teacher: Create a classroom environment that promotes students learning through adapting lessons, teaching Guided Reading lessons, and monitoring independent & group work.
Group Leader: Ensure the safety and well-being of campers during the camp day. Additionally, they will support Reading and Math Teachers in instruction and classroom management. Group Leaders will be responsible for communicating with parents and intentionally building character with campers.
Technology Facilitator: Technology Facilitators are responsible for leading the integration of educational technology throughout the camp day. They enhance the learning experience by building an integrated schedule to meet the needs of all campers. The Technology Facilitator also serves as the HypeMaster (DJ) during whole camp community building activities.
Minimum requirements for acceptance to MTR Camp:
- An undergraduate student enrolled in a four-year college/university with at least one year completed and not graduating until after summer 2020
- High energy, teachable individuals who are interested in teaching in an under-resourced environment
- US Citizenship or Permanent Residency
- GPA: 3.0 or above
How to apply
Application Season: October 1, 2019 - January 15, 2020
Complete an online application that requires a resume, references, and a brief essay.
Philip James - Recruiter - email@example.com
Tracey Jernigan - Camp Director - firstname.lastname@example.org