Financial Management Analyst
Manages programs and processes in order to ensure efficient and compliant execution of financial management resources. Prepares and delivers briefings, training sessions, consultations and strategy sessions with other staff service functions and activities to influence managers and others to accept findings and recommendations. Assesses a variety of reports received from internal and external sources to develop formalized recommendations for management's consideration. Evaluates operations, policies, procedures, and internal controls of financial operations to prevent and detect deficiencies in the operation of financial management areas. Receives special projects pertaining to improving the effectiveness and efficiency of financial management operations and related functional requirements. Duties will be developmental in nature when the position is filled below the full performance level
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S Citizen. Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)Suitable for federal employment. Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification. This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination. Vacancy Information: Position is located in DFAS - ACCOUNTING OPERATIONS - Indianapolis, Indiana. Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment into Federal Service
*** An additional assessment will be required for those applicants that are referred to the hiring officials. This assessment will be administered at the time of referral.
Human Resources will determine your qualifications for each entry grade level based on your interest and the additional following criteria. Resumes for federal government positions need more detailed work descriptions and accomplishments than a typical private sector resume. Please be sure to clearly describe the full scope of your work experiences in your resume. Combinations of education and experience may also be sufficient.
To be hired at the GS-7 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have:
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of a GS-05 within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
- Specialized experience is defined as: Experience applying financial laws, principles, systems, policies, methods, and practices to provide routine technical guidance to managers, employees and/or customers; gathering data from financial systems; and researching financial policies and laws to resolve common financial issues.
- SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR GS-7 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One full year of graduate level education (or will have completed within 9 months of job post closing) or Superior Academic Achievement (Grade point average of a 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale or class standing in the upper third of the graduating class or major subdivision) or membership in a national scholastic honor society may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
To be hired at the GS-9 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the federal serviceperforming financial systems analysis in support of finance mission and applying knowledge of financial management principles as they relate to automated financial systems processing and operations.
- Specialized experience is defined as: Experience researching and interpreting financial regulations, policies and laws to provide substantive recommendations and advice to managers; analyzing and evaluating reports and data from financial systems to identify issues and discrepancies; and researching and interpreting financial policies and laws to resolve financial issues.
- SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR GS-9 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Master's or equivalent graduate level degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education (or will have completed within 9 months of job post closing) leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
To be hired at the GS-11 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the federal service performing complex data analysis and evaluation of financial systems, policies, procedures, and regulations to ensure the continuity of a financial system's operations.
- Specialized experience is defined as: Experience analyzing financial and accounting operations to recommend process improvements; monitoring and evaluating financial systems to identify weaknesses and ensure compliance with internal controls; and analyzing the impact of applicable laws and regulations on an organization's financial policies, operations and systems and recommending changes to maintain compliance.
- SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR GS-11 SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. (or will have completed within 9 months of job post closing) may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
This position is developmental and selections may be made at the GS-7, GS-9, or GS-11 entry grade levels. Once eligibility and qualification requirements are met, selectees will be eligible for promotion at management discretion to the GS-9 and GS-11 grade levels without further competition.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.