- The major duties described below reflect the full performance level of this position:
- Provides professional accounting advice and assistance in the application and compliance of generally accepted accounting principles, policies, and procedures
- Reviews, analyzes and modifies operating programs, practices, and procedures related to receiving, controlling, validating, recording, and reporting accounting transactions affecting asset, liability, revenue, expense, and budgetary accounts
- Assists in establishing and monitoring internal controls to identify problem areas, determine actions required to improve operating program effectiveness, and ensure and maintain the integrity of financial and accounting information
- Applies knowledge and understanding of automated data processing systems as they apply to accounting systems and "feeder" systems and the ability to deal effectively and logically in solving program/system issues
- Performs special audits, studies, reports and/or, analysis to evaluate the status of the financial health and/or position of accounting operations based on balanced scorecard measurements or indicators
- Duties will be developmental in nature while performing below the full performance level (GS-11)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Background or Security Investigation: This is a Non-Critical Sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date.
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service.
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
Human Resources will determine your qualifications for each entry grade level based on your interest and the additional following criteria. Resumes for federal government positions need more detailed work descriptions and accomplishments than a typical private sector resume. Please be sure to clearly describe this in your resume. Combinations of education and experience may also be sufficient.
This position has a positive education requirement. To qualify for this position you must meet one of the basic requirements described below:
(1) Completion of all requirements for a bachelor's degree in accounting(or will have completed within 9 months of job post closing) from an accredited college or university; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. OR
(2) Candidates may also qualify through a combination of education and experience:at least 4 years of accounting experience or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND 24 semester hours in accounting/auditing courses, which may include up to 6 hours of business law, OR a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
You may need to send proof of education or of certification to be considered for this position. Click here for more information on who must submit documentation at the time of application and what documentation is acceptable: Transcripts and Certifications.
- In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade in the Federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.To be hired at the GS-7 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have:One (1) year of experience assisting with basic activities related to validating, maintaining, or processing accounting data or transactions. OR
- One full year of graduate level education (or will have completed within 9 months of job post closing) or Superior Academic Achievement (references bachelors degree and will have completed within 9 months of job post closing) which can be met by:
- Grade point average of a 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale OR
- Class standing in the upper third of the graduating class or major subdivision OR
- Membership in a national scholastic honor society may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement
- To be hired at the GS-9 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have:One (1) year of experience performing activities related to utilizing established accounting standards to compile, analyze, and summarize accounting data resulting from day-to-day accounting operations, maintaining the integrity of financial accounts and preparing financial statements and/or reports. OR
- Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education (or will have within 9 months of job post closing), Master's or equivalent graduate degree (or will have within 9 months of job post closing), may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
- To be hired at the GS-11 entry grade level, applicants must minimally have:One (1) year of experience independently performing duties involved with interpreting and applying of accounting principles, policies, and procedures; assisting in designing, implementing and assessing of internal accounting control processes; and ensuring the validity, accuracy, and integrity of accounting processes. OR
- Three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree (or will have within 9 months of job post closing) may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement.
This position is developmental and selections may be made at the GS-7, GS-9, or GS-11 entry grade levels. Once eligibility and qualification requirements are met, selectees will be eligible for promotion at management discretion to the GS-9 and GS-11 grade levels without further competition.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.