Summer 2020 Casualty Claims Intern-Mt. Laurel, NJ
In our Casualty Claims department, no two days are the same. Our interns will assist with investigating, evaluating and settling casualty matters brought against NS for incidents involving property damage, personal injury or death arising from company operations. Interns will assist our Claim Agents who carry their individual claims through the entire case cycle by responding to the scene immediately after an accident occurs, conducting a full investigation, preserving evidence, writing reports, handling all negotiations for fair and reasonable settlements, and assisting outside counsel at depositions and in trial, when necessary.
What makes a successful Casualty Claims Intern?
- A motivated self-starter committed to learning the ins and outs of railroad operations and the industry regulations
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written
- Solid interpersonal skills to lead various interactions with operations officers, lawyers, law enforcement personnel, and others involved in the claims handling process
- Ability to manage time, plan and prioritize work demands effectively
- Positive and professional attitude on a daily basis
- Being able to relocate if necessary
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree and a strong interest in pursuing this type of work. All majors considered for this position
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Excel and Word
- Freshman (27 or fewer credits) - $2,500/month
- Sophomore (28 to 59 credits) - $2,800/ month
- Junior (60 to 89 credits) - $3,000/month
- Senior (90 or more credits) - $3,300/month
- Graduate Student - $3,666/month
*Living stipend of $850/month is available to those who qualify.