Grower Intern Spring 2021
Extraordinary Plants. Extraordinary People.
Green Circle Growers’ Internship Program gives students majoring in Horticulture Programs the opportunity to work for one of the largest greenhouse operations in the Midwest. GCG is committed to introducing fresh new ideas to the market place while utilizing production methods that are efficient and environmentally conscious.
The goal of Green Circle Growers’ Internship Program is to give students a hands-on experience in each specialized area. Interns will work with experienced GCG growers and staff, who guide and educate them throughout the Internship process. Some areas Interns will focus on are: Plant Watering (Priva Computer System), Biological Control Program, Insect Scouting & Recording, Soft Chemical Applications, Plant Rotations and much more.
Rate is $14.52 an hour.
· Crop irrigation, including irrigation by hose, through boom and via ebb and flood. The intern will first develop an understanding of when to irrigate before being shown how to irrigate.
· Interface with environmental control systems (Priva) to understand how to set up the greenhouse environment to maximize plant growth and energy savings.
· Crop maintenance activities including moving plants/tables, spacing and pinching.
· Housekeeping activities including cleaning greenhouses and removing debris.
· Scouting crops to assess insect populations, including monitoring of yellow sticky traps.
· Moving tables, spacing pots/trays, cleaning and hosing floors and emptying trash cans
· Comply with safety regulations and maintain clean and orderly work areas
· May be required to drive electric carts.
· Enrolled or Recent Graduate of Horticulture Program.
· Must be able to read/speak English with good communication skills
- Ability to assist grower in all growing relating routine tasks
- Ability to scout for insects and diseases
- Adhere to safety policies and procedures (safety-conscious around chemical applications)
- Flexibility is a must, as priorities change throughout the day
- Able to work at a fast pace, with long periods of standing and bending or sitting
- Able to work overtime and weekends as required
· Have a solid work history with good attendance
- Must have reliable transportation
· Must be able to pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen
Physical demands and abilities:
· Regularly required to use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms
· Frequently required to stand/walk 8+ hours, stoop, kneel, bend/squat, handle fluctuating temperatures for long periods of time
· Lifting and/or moving plants up-to 50lbs or more; pushing carts that can weigh over 100lbs