Summer Communications Assistant
The Iowa PGA Section is established as an association of qualified golf professionals dedicated to promoting the game by positively impacting lives through golf. In this effort, the Section shall provide education and playing opportunities, perpetuate and preserve employment opportunities for its members, and bring awareness and support to the Iowa PGA Foundation. In doing so, the Section shall elevate the image of its members, the PGA and the game of golf.
Iowa PGA Section
The Iowa PGA office is responsible for serving 250 Iowa PGA members and associates that live and work within Iowa and Western Illinois. Our tournament program consists of roughly 20-25 events with a Spring and Fall Membership Meeting. Educational opportunities take place throughout the year and are highlighted by our Teaching and Coaching Summit. The section also runs the Iowa Open and partners with the PGA TOUR to help run qualifiers for the Principle Charity Classic and John Deere Classic.
Iowa PGA Foundation
The foundation which, is a 501 © 3 organization runs, one of the most successful junior programs in the Midwest. It has over 800 members and runs roughly 50 events throughout the year. The program also runs national programs likes Drive, Chip, and Putt and PGA Jr. League. The Foundation also awards college scholarships and helps the military through a variety of programs.
The Iowa PGA Section and Foundation is based in Riverside, IA at Riverside Casino and Golf Resort. This location is roughly 20 minutes south of Iowa City, IA.
Start and End Date:
The Iowa PGA would like to have this intern commence his or her internship on or around May 15 and would run through August 14 based off our schedule.
Overall Job Description
This 3 month internship opportunity is focused around communication, media, and office assistance for the Iowa PGA Section and Foundation. It will entail being on-site at tournaments, updating our junior golf website, making highlight and promotional videos, writing press releases, and other areas of the operation that need assistance.
This is a full-time job with a minimum of a 40 hour work week. This paid internship will have required weekend work and ground travel will be involved. The intern will be given a month-by-month schedule of the 3-months upon arrival.
· Photographing and videoing events to create highlight videos and photo albums to post on social media
· Interview juniors, parents, and PGA Professionals
· Work with our Communications Coordinator on social media from Facebook to Twitter to Instagram
· Update and maintain our junior golf website with guidance from our Communications Coordinator
· Write and publish press releases following junior golf events
· Occasionally assist the operation team with starting, scoring, and being a rules official during a tournament
· Provide quality customer service for PGA members and junior golf members when they call the office
· Assist with standard operations in the office from mailings to inventory control
· Assist with Drive, Chip, and Putt qualifiers
· Assist with sending membership packets and Iowa PGA Golf Passes to customers once they place an order
· Working towards a degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field preferred
· Excellent communication, public speaking, content creating and public relations skills
· Experience in photography, video, graphic design and social media preferred
· Ability to learn quickly and take initiative
· Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
· Outstanding writing and editing skills, with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
· Strong work ethic and enjoys working with people of all ages
· Intermediate computer skills – Google Suite, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word required
· Energetic and outgoing – willing to communicate with parents and members
· Golf Knowledge is preferred, but not mandatory
· Willing to travel extensively throughout Iowa and Western Illinois
- Work early mornings
- Work outside in extreme weather and temperatures
- Ability to lift objects up to 30 pounds i.e. tents, tables, stakes, and championship signage
- Safely operate a golf cart
- Stand and move around on foot for extended periods of time
- Work long days
Compensation and Benefits:
· $9 an hour
· All travel expenses paid
· Iowa PGA staff apparel and uniforms
· Access to Blue Top Ridge Golf Course
Application Information and Deadline:
Please send writing samples, cover letter and resume via email or mail to:
Assistant Executive Director
Attn: Tess Goudy
3184 Hwy 22
Riverside, IA 52327
Please have writing samples, cover letter and resume sent in by January 11, 2020