Research Associate, Biochemistry
Who we are
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
The Biochemistry group at Calico is seeking a motivated and experienced Research Associate to join our team. The successful candidate will join a multi-disciplinary team focused on elucidating the biochemical properties/structures of proteins relevant to human aging. The ideal candidate must be highly motivated, detail-oriented, work autonomously with a variety of techniques, and comfortable presenting results to cross-functional teams.
- BS/MS in biochemistry or related discipline plus 3+ years technical experience
- Expression of proteins in mammalian/bacteria/yeast systems for research and early stage screening work
- Hands on experience of common strategies of protein purification. Extensive experience with AKTA purification systems
- Proven track record on structural biology studies such as X-ray crystallography and cryo-EM is highly desired
- Mastery of molecular cloning, construct design and optimization
- Mammalian cell line maintenance, stable cell line development, and transfection
- Demonstration of accountability, ability for multitasking, and attention to detail
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Self-motivation and a "can-do" attitude will be needed to succeed in this fast-paced team