Intern - Insurance Benefits (Chicago, IL)
This comprehensive 10-week summer intern program aims to provide the opportunity for students going into their senior year of college the chance to learn about employee benefits consulting. An extensive and structured training program will expose interns to topics such as explanation of standard and non-standard benefits, regulatory issues, financial reporting, and different departments within Lockton. Interns will assist Lockton associates on key initiatives including carrier/client correspondence, account servicing projects and client service plans. Each intern is assigned a mentor, who will help manage the day-to-day workload, and an advisor, who is responsible for helping set weekly goals, making sure training needs are being met, and provide feedback throughout the program.
• Provide and coordinate administrative support to unit, including returning phone calls, coordinating presentations, carrier/client correspondence, copy jobs, overnight mailings, binding jobs, graphics, etc.
• Assist with financial reporting for annual renewals, mid-year reviews and monthly claim reports.
• Assist with creating exhibits which benchmark a client's benefit against normative data.
• Request benefit contract renewals from carriers for all lines of coverage.
• Assist with all renewal analysis projects as assigned by the mentor, including development of Request for Proposal (RFP) from various markets, carrier follow-up, and production of market analysis report.
• Assist in producing employee communications (newsletters, bulletins, overhead presentations, etc.).
• Develop ownership by familiarizing self with contracts, communications materials, and administrative materials, company cost sharing strategy and benefit schedules.
• Maintain permanent master files (keep current SPDs/certificates by client for each line of coverage, including revised documents/amendments), agency management system and accounting records.
• Protect the confidentiality of information learned by performing the duties of the position.
• Participate in Lockton’s extensive benefit training program.
• Attend internal meetings/education programs.
• Attend a minimum of one client meeting and present information.
Education, Experience and Skills Required:
• Student must have completed Junior Year Studies (Internship to be completed the summer prior to entering Senior Fall Semester) and are planning on graduating in the spring of 2021.
• Grade Point Average of 3.5 or higher in field of study.
• Major in insurance, finance, statistics, economics, business, health policy or liberal arts.
• Housing is not provided by Lockton; Securing housing is students responsibility.
• Excellent computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheet expertise. Familiarity with PowerPoint and Excel preferred.
• Ability to complete simple mathematical calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
• Strong customer service skills.
• Multi-task oriented.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to speak in public.
• Ability to prioritize effectively.
• Status as a currently enrolled student.
• Legal right to work in the United States.