2020 Summer Internship
BUILD YOUR FUTURE WITH AMERICAN FOODS GROUP
Location: This Internship could be based out of one of our facilities across the Midwest.
Internship Dates: June 1st – August 14th, 2020
If you are working on earning your bachelors’ degree and have a desire to apply your knowledge within a food manufacturing organization, your next great career opportunity could be with American Foods Group.
In this internship, you will: Gain knowledge and understanding of the business through projects within your declared discipline. A few experiences you will gain are:
- The opportunity to become exposed and develop knowledge and skills associated with the beef and further processing business.
- Thrive in a team work environment, honing interpersonal skills, and formulate potential career opportunities.
- Manage various projects throughout the internship that will be determined by your Mentor/Supervisor. Projects will be specific to your declared discipline.
- Earn academic credits though a supervised educational internship (if applicable).
- Learn specifically about American Foods Group and gain real work experience that you cannot achieve in the classroom.
Note: This is not intended to be all-inclusive.
As an intern in the following department(s), you could:
Quality Assurance/Food Safety
- Monitor employees and plant procedures according to the SQF code and monitor the Active Food Security and Defense surveillance inside the facility and its operations
- Maintain daily records of integrity of finished product leaving the facility, including but not limited to: ground beef sampling, leaker checks, HACCP temperature checks, metal detector/x-ray checks, finished product weight checks, tare checks, and specification checks
- Communicate with Line Leads and Supervisors if product does not meet specifications
- Account for tools, utensils, and other potentially dangerous equipment distributed daily
- Complete special projects (as needed) based around; rinse and chill system, sort and weight fall, carcass swabbing, chemical titrations, etc.
- Monitor intervention validation studies, sanitary operations, and animal welfare
- Perform data entry, AS400 work, and generate monthly trending documents
- This is a hands-on position that is heavily engaged in day-to-day production activities manufacturing millions of pounds of beef on an annual basis. You will work with experienced employees to learn all aspects of either Harvest (Barn, Hide-On, Hide-Off, and Variety Meats) or Fabrication (Boning and Packaging).
- Work in different departments alongside supervisors and employees to learn, understand and positively impact production operations
- Identify trends and recommends proactive or remedial action to manage business situations
- Work with and through management to develop and implement actions that protect company assets and profitability or set policies and procedures
- Train and develop management skills while leading and motivating others
- Interpret, apply, and/or enforce all company policies, programs, rules, regulations, and safety rules in support of departmental and corporate goals for safety, quality, and production
- Active involvement in employee safety and ensuring overall safety in the workplace.
- Interact with vendors, suppliers or customers
Environmental Health & Safety
- Accelerated internship towards Harvest facility operations, heavily lead in compliance management.
- Conduct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Assessments, authoring job hazard analysis, and ensure compliance of respiratory/fall protection
- Facilitate Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) orientations for new and existing employees, ensuring training(s) are current
- Perform weekly EHS reporting and injury follow-ups
- Lead with a high level of interpersonal tactfulness by verbalizing the needs of complex information such as Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO) profiles
- Work cross-functionally with strategic partners internally and externally to present data, while compelling a convincing message, encouraging buy in, and tracking the tasks to the plant’s accomplishments
- Oversee and manage special projects (as needed) throughout the summer; researching and presenting findings verbally and written in an aesthetically appealing way
You’re a prime candidate if you:
- Are in currently enrolled in a credited College or University and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher within your chosen major.
- Completed your second year of undergraduate by the beginning of the internship.
- Have the desire and ability to work well both independently and cross functionally.
- Are willing to engage others through strong communication and leadership skills.
- Are an inquisitive individual that has a desire to gain knowledge through experience.
- Ability to perform all duties required in both office and manufacturing environments wearing proper PPE
- Have reliable transportation to and from working location.
- Work all hours determined by your supervisor. Typical work week will be Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. with infrequent overtime, weekend, or shift work.
In return, at American Foods Group you will find a winning culture that will invest in you and your future. You will:
- Earn a competitive wage, have housing provided at no cost to you, attend company sponsored events, be fully immersed into the Beef Industry, and more!
- Get the training and the opportunity to make a difference.
- Be part of a growing organization that invests in our products, facilities, systems, processes and teams to make sure we stay on top of our game.
- Be part of a global organization with solid financial results, a solid reputation in the industry and within area communities, with opportunities for personal and professional growth.