January/Winter Term Internship (Spring 2020)
January Term/Winter Term interns receive exposure to both PEN/Faulkner’s education outreach programming and our public literary programming. By working with both departments, this internship provides insight into a literary arts nonprofit and is perfect for liberal arts majors.
Writers in Schools (WinS) is PEN/Faulkner’s K-12 literary arts education and community outreach programming. WinS brings contemporary literature and living writers into under-resourced DC public schools, public charter schools, community organizations, and the DC Jail. Literary Events include our “Literary Conversations” series, the annual PEN/Faulkner Award Ceremony and the annual PEN/Faulkner Gala.
Writers in Schools (60%)
- Attending WinS visits as an Author Ambassador, as needed.
- Researching contemporary authors and books to add to our roster.
- Assisting with program evaluation.
- Researching multi-media texts (essays, poetry, videos, songs, visual art) to support student learning of WinS core texts.
- Researching DC public and charter school partners, publishers, and community organizations.
- Supporting information management of book lists, author database, website, and volunteers.
- General support tasks relevant to the successful execution of Writers in Schools programming.
Literary Events (40%)
- Assisting with the logistics of upcoming author visits, such as scheduling, travel bookings, and accommodations
- Attending our literary events and assisting with audience management, set up/take down, and book sales (may involve evening hours).
- Tracking event ticket sales and donor contributions.
- Writing and editing book synopses and author bios for outreach purposes and upcoming programs.
- General copywriting and administrative tasks.
The ideal candidate has:
- Excellent time management skills.
- Superb attention to detail.
- An interest in arts-based education outreach programs.
- An interest in research and marketing.
- The ability and drive to work independently and as part of a team.
- High level of proficiency with the GSuite platform (Gmail, GDocs, etc.).
- A willingness to pitch in on all assignments.
- A willingness to take risks, accept feedback, and grow.
- A good sense of humor.
We are also interested in candidates who have:
- Experience with social media and writing for the web.
- Experience with basic graphic design (Canva).
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish at a native-speaker level.
Send an email (noting the position you are applying for in the subject line) with a current resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please explain what you will bring to the position, as well as what you hope to gain from the experience.