Tax Intern (Summer 2020)
Support and assist with various projects as assigned within the Company’s Tax Department. These projects will be assigned consistent with the Company’s Internship Program with an emphasis on developing an understanding of the Company’s multiple business units and enhancing the intern’s ability to apply his/her education in a business environment.
PAY: $17.00 per hour (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Tax Manager
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
- Intern Relocation Adjustment Allowance of $1,000.00 is offered for the purpose of assisting with various expenses associated with your relocation for the internship (less applicable taxes and based on eligibility). Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Comply with and perform duties within Company policies and procedures.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the Company and to enhance the image of the Tax Department.
- Assist all levels of management and staff in interpreting the information you produce.
- Maintain a system for keeping project files in an orderly and accurate manner.
- Provide routine information to employees and other departments as requested. Respond to inquiries as promptly as possible.
- Keep Vice President - Tax informed on the status of work.
- Present ideas for improving efficiency of duties to Vice President - Tax.
- Support and assist the Vice President - Tax and other staff in meeting deadlines and goals.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned, including those required to support subsidiary tax processes and other Finance and Accounting Department activities including those for the property accounting functions, risk and treasury activities and internal audit functions.
- Participation in the Company’s Industry Orientation Experiences, which will include some travel and overnight stays.
- Prepare and present a synopsis of experience with the Company at the end of the internship.
- College junior or above working toward a Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Accounting or Finance.
- No experience required.
- Basic knowledge of business and accounting procedures and methods.
- Basic knowledge of automated accounting and Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare and give presentations.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate with employees and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business, employee and applicant information.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. No travel is required for this role.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Benefits: 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution)
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.