Paid Summer Undergraduate Research Experience
The Center for Engineering MechanoBiology (CEMB) seeks motivated undergraduate students for its Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program for summer 2020. Students participate in 10-week, on-campus programs in Philadelphia or St. Louis, working in research groups at the University of Pennsylvania and Washington University in St. Louis. Students are matched to projects within a research group based on their interests, educational background, and previous research experience.
Many projects are interdisciplinary and provide opportunities to develop research skills in the physical sciences, the biological sciences, and engineering. Students develop practical research skills: collaborating, designing experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and communicating results. Other aspects of the program complement the lab experience and are oriented toward professional development and career skills: seminars, journal clubs, and professional and career workshops, including training in ethics, innovation, and technology transfer.
The program offers:
- A competitive stipend
- Summer housing
- Travel assistance (if eligible)
- Social activities (Cardinals/Phillies baseball, outings in the city, cook-outs on campus)
- US Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Rising junior or senior in an undergraduate degree program
- Enrolled in a science or engineering degree program
- Historically underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply
Application deadline: February 1, 2020. Applications will open November 1, 2019.
Visit the CEMB website for more information about this program and the center.