Summer Internship - Special Needs Youth Camp Group Specialist
Whether you are looking to grow personally or develop marketable skills for the corporate or professional world, work at Camp Starfish will prepare you for almost anything! Internship programs are available for college credit in many different disciplines. In previous summers, staff with majors in Social Work, Recreation, Sports Science, Wilderness Leadership, Psychology, Education, Business Management and many other subjects were able to spend the summer having fun at camp while still working towards their degree!
If you join our team as an intern, you will automatically be placed in our Intern Seminar that meets weekly at camp. Our leadership staff and directors are committed to helping make sure you get the most out of your internship opportunity.
If you are planning to use your time at camp to gain internship credit, we strongly recommend that you speak with your advisor, etc. to determine the necessary steps to apply for credit at your particular institution. We will work with you and your school to make sure that the right forms are filled out, but as every school is different, we rely on you to guide the process. We also recommend you apply as early as possible to give both you and us enough time to get everything organized.
About this Job:
Camp Starfish Group Specialists accompany a group of campers in a particular age group through all their daily activities. Responsibilities include encouraging camper participation, helping campers who may require additional time or explanation, supporting campers who may require extra attention, and implementation/monitoring of individualized behavioral plans. There are several different groups, each of which varies a bit in their daily pursuits. These specific roles include focuses on Resident Camp Group Specialists, Teen Camp Specialists, Beachcombers Camp Specialists, Camper Services Team (CST) Specialists, and Lead Specialists. A more complete description of each of these areas can be found on our website at: http://www.campstarfish.org/staff/being-on-staff.html
We’re looking for motivated and fun individuals who have a desire and ability to work with children outdoors, in a mission-focused, not-for-profit organization dedicated to fostering the success and growth of children with emotional, learning and behavioral problems by providing individualized attention as part of structured, nurturing, and fun group programs.
Successful candidates demonstrate:
• Strong personal integrity, adaptability, emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, patience, and self-control
• Ability to understand, role model, and adhere to Starfish policies and procedures
• Use of the “Starfish Tools” as a foundation for professional development and interactions
• Willingness and ability to seek and accept supervision and guidance
• Embrace and accept differences in religion/ethnicity/culture/race/gender/sexual orientation and/or other diversities. Willingness and ability to treat all campers and staff fairly regardless of identity, background, and/or preferences
• Pass all background checks as required for seasonal employees of an organization working with vulnerable child populations
• Ability to work the entirety of the season, as stated in a letter of hire, including staff training dates
• Prefer at least 19 years old with one year of college/work/life experience outside of high school
This is a residential summer camp position with Summer 2020 employment dates: June 7th - August 15th. Live, work, and play with some truly amazing children.
For more information, please visit http://campstarfish.org/staff/apply-now.html and complete an online application. All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.