Spring 2020 Tournament Operations Internship
Reports to: Tournament Director
About the HJGT
The Hurricane Junior Golf Tour (HJGT) was founded in 2007 with the intention of providing junior golfers between the ages of 8-18 an opportunity to play exceptional courses in a competitive environment. The tour’s vision is to provide superb hospitality and make every event a memorable one. With play open to both males and females, nearly every junior golfer is eligible to participate on the HJGT. Currently the HJGT is the largest junior golf tour in the world hosting more 2-day nationally ranked events than any other tour.
In 2017, the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour announced a partnership with Nexus, an international hospitality and entertainment company backed by financier Joe Lewis and Tavistock Group, golfing great Tiger Woods and musician and entertainer Justin Timberlake, which will further our collective goal of growing the game of golf, broadening the Tour’s reach across the U.S. and around the world.
Under the direct supervision and mentorship of HJGT Tournament Directors and Staff Members, Associates will learn how to operate golf tournaments through their active involvement with all aspects of tournament operations, from course setup to course breakdown. There will be no more than 4 associates to 1 full time tournament director.
The internship will provide direct hands on training and require extensive travel every weekend across the country, including: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Texas, Minnesota, Iowa, California, Arizona, New Jersey, and North Carolina. When interns are not traveling, they will be provided Business Operations training at the HJGT Headquarters through hands on learning and development provided by the Senior Leadership team. There are 6 operations teams across of the country. 2 of them live in full time housing which is in FL or GA while the other 4 teams are travel teams and they live in hotels during the duration of their program. Travel teams spend approximately1 full week in each city they visit.
- Pursuing a degree in Business/Sports Management/Marketing
- This is an unpaid internship, and you must receive at least one (1) credit for the onsite experience from an accredited College/University.
- Pre- and Post Event-Press Releases
- Provide extensive customer service to all players and families
- Tournament Set-Up and Preparation Includes, but is not limited to:
- Marking of Golf Course, Tee and Hole Locations, Scoreboard Set-Up, Utility Set-Up
- Starting and Scoring of Players, On Course Rules Officiating, Pace of Play Management Experience/Skills
The following items will be provided by the HJGT:
- Hotel Accommodations, Van transportation to and from tournament, Uniform, Laundry, Discounted or FREE golf at host venues.
- Most meals while traveling to and from tournaments.
- Knowledge of golf (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to adapt in a fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
Why intern with HJGT?
- College Credit for getting hands on, once in a lifetime educational experience
- Employee discounts on most major golf equipment and apparel (Generally 30-50% off retail)
- Hands on experience and to learn every aspect of tournament operations, retail marketing, and video productions
- Resume building workshops
- Classroom sessions with HJGT employees to assist with career planning
- Recommendation letters from full time employees
- Networking events
- Students will be able to use the HJGT internship for college credit. Your institution will decide the amount of credits. All interns MUST be enrolled in at least one credit.
- Experience in the golf industry
- To obtain full-time employment with HJGT or through its network
There are countless benefits to participating in the HJGT internship program. Interns will meet and interact with various groups of people and get to know the future stars of the PGA and LPGA tours. For example, interns will be around golf professionals, directors of golf, course superintendents, influential and successful sponsors, parents, and spectators. This internship is unlike many other programs because of the hands-on experience you will receive. Interns will be given daily tasks that have a substantial impact on the organization. You will learn how to manage people, manage departments, and problem solve in a fast and fun environment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the entertainment industry, the associate may be required to work varying schedules including nights and weekend to reflect the business needs of the company.
Hurricane Junior Golf Tour is an equal opportunity employer and we will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or any other classification protected by law.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status.