Special Diets and Nutrition Intern
Special Diets Internship: Are you looking for hands on nutrition experience, working with a population of children and youth to make sure they are getting the energy they need from the food they consume?
As our Special Diets and Nutrition intern you will take the lead on planning, purchasing, and preparation of the the meals for those with special dietary needs. Working on your own, within a team environment, this person must take initiative and responsibility through the diligent delivery of their product, three meals per day plus snacks, from Menu planning, ordering, purchasing, and cooking. Your goal is to build relationships with the campers and staff in your care to understand needs and execute your plans. Gain experience with inventory, menu planning, customer and guest service, while in a leadership role in the food service department.
- Develop alternative menus
- Meal preparation
- Assist with food service
- Communicate with parents/caregiver on participant special diet requirements
- Answer special diet nutrition questions
- Help with training of kitchen and seasonal staff
- Flexible with schedule and tasks
- Assist at camp
- Greet & welcome parents at camp check in
- Maintain daily cleaning/sanitation of kitchen area
- Assist with meal set set-up
- Assist with inventory control
- Give feedback on and make suggestions for purchasing products
- Returning all Special Diet items to caregivers at checkout/departure
- Know and follow personnel policies of Camp Lincoln & Camp Lake Hubert
- Assume all other duties and assignments as deemed appropriate by the Foodservice Manager - be flexible / willing to jump into any camp situation that might arise.
Food Service staff are a key part of Camp’s staff. Our Food Service team is typically comprised of 25-30 people who provide three meals a day (with salad bars) to approximately 700 campers and staff between both camps. They work together to operate three kitchens and serve seven dining rooms. The food service staff are also responsible for special event meals, banquets, cookouts, trip pack-outs, picnics, and decorating birthday cakes. This operation provides a fun way to gain on-the-job food service experience for anyone aspiring to become a Food Service Professional. Positions within our food service department include Food Service Manager, Cooks, Bakers, Salad Prep, Food Runners, and Dishwashers.
Support Staff work behind the scenes to ensure camp is running smoothly, drivers, food service, health center staff, housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, in our offices, or warehouse operations. A Support Staff member lives in a cabin with a group of other Support Staff. During a Support Staff member’s down time, they may take advantage of the camp’s facilities and are encouraged to actively participate in camp life. Applicants must demonstrate a strong aptitude in their specific area.