Scientist lll/Chemist - LSTS 2019-1188
Scientist III/Chemist - LSTS
Job ID 2019-1188
Location : Location
Lovelace Scientific & Technical Services (LSTS)
APHC personnel provide requirements-driven services to promote healthy people, communities, animals and work places through the prevention of disease, injury and disability of Soldiers, Military Retirees, their Families, Veterans, DA Civilian Employees and animals through studies, surveys and technical consultations.
We are looking for a Scientist III/Chemist to Support the Area of the Laboratory Sciences (LAB) Directorate, Radiological (RAD) at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Edgewood, MD. This opportunity is a full-time contract position in the Technical Scientific Support Chemistry section.
- Responsible for providing analytical support for environmental and occupational health samples, supporting military deployment efforts; industrial hygiene, permit compliance, water quality, and waste disposal, to help solve technical problems involving identification of radiation and radioisotopes in various solids, water, wipes, and air samples.
- Conduct complex radiochemical analyses of environmental and occupational health samples determining radioactivity and radioisotope concentrations.
- Perform radiochemical analyses, resolving conflicts as needed.
- Evaluate and report results as required.
- Operate sophisticated laboratory equipment such as liquid scintillation counter (LSC), gas flow proportional counter (GFPC), gamma spectrometer, and/or alpha spectrometer.
- Check quality control data, correcting actions as required.
- Identify radiation and radioisotopes found, concentrations, and techniques used.
- Develop, plan and perform radiochemical analyses in accordance with plans developed.
- Recognize anomalies or discrepancies in data obtained, conducts additional experiments, resolving conflicts and documenting results as required.
- Perform complex chemical tasks and special studies as needed.
- Develop, adapt, modify, and implement analytical testing methods as needed.
- Determine approach and analytical instruments for required data.
- Improve laboratory processes, increasing quality, and reducing waste and costs.
- Determine sample storage and preservation procedures.
- Troubleshoot and maintain laboratory instruments, performing minor repairs as required.
- Recommend new analytical equipment as needed.
- Train on equipment operations and analyses as required.
Requires a Phd or MD in a related discipline and a minimum of 5 years of directly-related experience; or equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute Family of Companies is an Equal Opportunity employer–M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regarding to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law. All applicants and employees are further protected from discrimination based on inquiring about, disclosing or discussing the compensation of other applicants or employees. For additional information about your rights as an applicant, click here.
For assistance with our application process, including reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities to participate in the application process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 505-348-9400.