PROJECT MANAGER, NEIGHBORHOOD PLANNING
NDD is seeking a dynamic Project Manager (PM) to coordinate the agency’s role in large-scale and multi-stakeholder neighborhood planning efforts in low-to-moderate income communities in close partnership with local community groups. The ideal candidate has stellar interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with a strong desire to work at the intersection of city government and community-based organizations to proactively engage diverse neighborhood stakeholders throughout the planning process. The PM will work directly on NDD’s Neighborhood 360° (N360) initiative – a program built to proactively identify, develop, and implement commercial revitalization projects in partnership with local stakeholders across various NYC neighborhoods.
The PM will manage multiple N360 commercial district needs assessments and economic development initiatives in targeted neighborhoods in partnership with CBDOs and report directly to the Director of Neighborhood Planning.
• Assist partner CBDOs to analyze opportunities and challenges in their respective commercial corridors and formulate key findings on the corridor’s demographics, retail conditions, market data, business environment, physical environment, etc.
• Work with partner CBDOs to formulate actionable projects from the assessment results, including creating metrics by which to measure short, medium, and long-term success
• Establish and lead multi-stakeholder working groups on selected projects to creatively advance programming and address community challenges.
• Proactively advance internal projects, identifying needs and opportunities for program and process enhancements and delivering on project milestones.
• Manage multi-year grant agreements with N360 CBDOs by ensuring timely project delivery and payments, troubleshooting obstacles to implementation, ideating future grant scopes of work, suggesting necessary budget modifications, and cultivating strong relationships with CBDO staff and N360 working group participants.
• Coordinate and centralize NDD’s participation in assigned neighborhood economic development projects with other City agencies and community stakeholders/organizations.
• Coordinate intra-agency working groups on assigned neighborhoods and geographies, meeting frequently to move projects forward, troubleshoot, address challenges, and manage working group’s internal and external communication.
• Spearhead and facilitate SBS’ public outreach processes in assigned neighborhoods, representing the organization in professional and public forums.
• Cultivate community engagement and outreach strategies that better inform SBS commercial revitalization services, and that build strong and trusting relationships with local stakeholder groups.
• Serve as a responsive and insightful representative of SBS at assigned BID Board of Directors meetings and events.
• Other projects, contract management responsibilities, and tasks as assigned.
The Department of Small Business Services and the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
• Experience and strong commitment to engaging and collaborating with community-based organizations and local small business communities, and strong familiarity with New York City neighborhoods and development issues.
• Demonstrated ability to self-manage, as well as strong project management skills, including the ability to complete tasks in a timely fashion with minimal supervision.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to speak and write concisely, and comfort speaking before groups, including conducting/facilitating well organized meetings with community and interagency partners.
• Proactive and collaborative team player, with ability to forge consensus on complex projects with diverse stakeholders.
• Enterprising and resourceful, with ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
• 2+ years of work experience is preferred but not required, ideally in a demanding analytical/strategic environment.
• Experience analyzing demographic and socioeconomic data, writing reports, research, creating graphs and charts, with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and zoning/land use economic analysis skills preferred.
• Community organizing techniques and best practices, including facilitation of community meetings & charrettes.
• Retail and commercial leasing, including analysis of vacancy data and retail leakage.
• Place-making tools, including best practices around public space activation, design, and programming.
• Program evaluation and data tracking, including developing metrics to measure outputs and outcomes.
• Graphic design, and making visual representations of data and processes in easy to understand formats.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel and PowerPoint, and Adobe Creative Suite.
• Fluency or proficiency in Spanish, Mandarin, or other foreign language strongly preferred.
• A master’s degree from an accredited college with a major in urban planning, urban affairs, public policy, business administration, public administration, urban design/architecture, economics, or political science; or
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of full‐time satisfactory experience in one or more of the following:
a. business development, retention, expansion and relocation or assisting businesses in accessing public and private services and programs including workforce development; or
b. analysis of business records and documents to determine eligibility of businesses for programs and services; or
c. economic, market or site research and analysis for business and
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter including subject line:
Project Manager, Neighborhood Planning to firstname.lastname@example.org
Internal candidates please email your resume and cover letter including subject line: Project Manager, Neighborhood Planning to: HRHELP2@sbs.nyc.gov
City Employees: Apply through Employee Self Service (ESS) at www.nyc.gov/ess search for Job ID: 416563
All Other Applicants: Go to www.nyc.gov/careers search by agency Small Business Services and search for Job ID: 416563
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000
NOTE: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted
NYC residency is required within 90 days of appointment
If you do not have access to email, mail your cover letter & resume to:
NYC Department of Small Business Services
Human Resources Unit
1 Liberty Plaza New York, New York 10006