PROGRAM MANAGER, BID DEVELOPMENT
The Neighborhood Development Division (NDD) is seeking a Program Manager of Business Improvement District (BID) Development. Reporting to the Senior Program Manager of BID Development, the Program Manager will be responsible for managing individual BID formation and expansion efforts, which involves overseeing and guiding numerous projects at various stages of planning and outreach and helping to guide SBS policy on BID development. The Program Manager will also represent the Mayor on the board of directors for existing BIDs and support the BID team in other program oversight responsibilities.
The BID Program Manager of BID Development will:
• Support the BID development team in the formation of new BIDs and expansion of existing BIDs citywide, which range from 15-25 active projects at any time;
• Support the BID team in the research and development of best practices related to BID formation and expansion;
• Identify and develop innovative methods to collect data from BIDs more effectively and efficiently;
• Manage mapping for existing BIDs and those in formation through GIS;
• Develop assessment-based financial models in Excel using Department of Finance data;
• Co-author documents throughout the process, including environmental impact analyses, district plans, district maps, assessment analysis, marketing collateral, process manuals, and public presentations;
• Produce templates, guides, and collateral that inform partner organizations and the public about BID formation;
• Maintain data and records involved in the BID formation and expansion process and provide regular updates to the BID team and NDD senior staff;
• Represent the Mayor on numerous boards of directors of existing BIDs in major NYC markets, which involves supporting BIDs with navigating government and capacity building while ensuring compliance with non-profit law, the organization’s governance standards, and SBS policy;
• Support other NDD program areas throughout the year, including reviewing grant applications for the Avenue NYC, Neighborhood 360, or Neighborhood Challenge Programs, and providing support to interagency neighborhood planning initiatives.
• Exceptional organizational, project management and leadership skills.
• Excellent research, analytical and facilitation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to engage and lead diverse groups with unique dynamics and challenges.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects in a timely manner.
• Experience or demonstrated interested in Business Improvement Districts.
• Strong proficiency in both GIS mapping and Microsoft Excel.
Preferred Skills The Department of Small Business Services and the City of New York is an equal opportunity employer. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
• Exceptional public speaking, writing and proofreading skills.
• Superior ability to communicate with a diverse array of individuals -- including those with business, real estate and government backgrounds -- through formal and informal channels.
• Experience working with and understanding legal or planning documents.
• Familiarity with non-profit law and New York City legislative processes.
• Thorough knowledge of New York City government and community-based planning, organizing, and neighborhood development issues.
• Successful experience working with and engaging neighborhood organizations and local small business communities.
• Candidates with degrees in urban planning, urban design/architecture, public administration, public policy or business administration with a focus on community or economic development strongly preferred.
• Some work experience in community planning, economic development, or community organizing is strongly preferred.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line: Program Manager, BID Development, Neighborhood Development Division to: email@example.com
Internal candidates please email your resume and cover letter including the following subject line: Program Manager, BID Development, Neighborhood Development Division to: HRHELP2@sbs.nyc.gov
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000
City Employees: Apply through Employee Self Service (ESS) at www.nyc.gov/ess search for Job ID: 416557
All Other Applicants: Go to www.nyc.gov/careers search by agency Small Business Services and search for Job ID: 416557
NOTE: Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
NYC residency is required within 90 days of appointment
If you do not have access to email, mail your cover letter & resume to:
NYC Department of Small Business Services
Human Resources Unit
One Liberty Plaza, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10006