Family Advocate - Elyria
Black River Career Prep, transitioning from Life Skills High School of Elyria, is on a NEW mission for the 2019-2020 school year.
At Career Prep High School, we change lives by preparing students for in-demand careers.
We focus on career training alongside academics, giving every student the chance to graduate with a diploma and industry-recognized credentials.
We're looking for team members who know how to change lives, who aren't afraid to work in the trenches, and whose vision lifts people to new levels of hope and achievement. We're looking for leaders who have their own stories of overcoming adversity.
Our smaller class sizes, ample prep time, and student mentoring opportunities provide an attractive alternative to other public-school working environments and a healthy work-life balance.
We are a drop-out recovery public charter school with a long history of serving students age 16-22 years old who come to us to make-up for lost time. If you feel a calling to help these students get back on track and to guide them into promising careers, we hope you will join the Career Prep High School team.
To assist the building Administrator by working with students in need of basic counseling and/or social service agency referrals in conformity with the philosophy and policies, the rules of the governing Board, State Board of Education, the provisions of law, directives of the building Administrator and sound administrative practice.
Duties and Responsibility
Specific duties Include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with students and families of the school who require basic counseling and/or social service referrals
- Meet with students referred for non-discipline, discipline, academic and other services to assess and determine service outcomes
- Work closely with the community and social service entities to assist in obtaining necessary resources, information and assistance for the students and families
- Provide information and training on independent living skills
- Provide contact with students in need of support, implementing weekly focus groups, making home visits as need
- Maintain confidentiality in all student and professional matters, and work professionally and cooperatively to achieve duties and responsibilities
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of community resources including government, health and other agencies
- Ability to manage and communicate with difficult or emotional students, staff, parents, and community members
- Ability to be an active listener and critical thinker and make sound judgments after all available information has been gathered or communicated
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure, and effectively prioritize and execute tasks to meet deadlines consistently
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, social service or related field, Master’s degree preferred
- License (LSW, LPC, LISW, etc.) or license eligible preferred
- Experience working with high school/adolescents between ages 16-21 preferred
- Eligibility for an Ohio substitute teaching license preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Satisfactory completion of state required criminal history check
- Physical ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to travel as needed
This is not a full list of job duties, responsibilities, skills, abilities, or qualifications needed. To view this job description in its entirety, contact the HR Team at Career Prep High School’s Central Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.