Library System Division Manager
The City of Bryan, Texas is accepting applications for Library System Division Manager. With broad guidance from the Deputy City Manager, the Library System Division Manger manages the activities and operations of the Bryan + College Station Public Library System that includes the Bryan Clara B. Mounce Public Library, the College Station Larry J. Ringer Public Library and the Carnegie Center of Brazos Valley History.
- Plans, organizes, and directs all activities concerned with the administration and operation of the library system.
- Directs the selection, purchase, classification and cataloging of library materials.
- Studies the community and directs the development of a balanced program of library services designed to meet the needs of all the people in the community.
- Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the City's policies and applicable laws, including: making employment decisions regarding hiring/termination; assigning major projects and reviewing work to ensure quality and timely completion; assisting in staff development and training; approving time; evaluating performance and addressing performance concerns; meeting with employees and management staff to identify and resolve problems; and performing other personnel actions to ensure productivity and quality standards are maintained.
- Advises and informs the Bryan + College Station Library Board and the City Manager’s Offices of both Bryan and College Station regarding the maintenance and improvement of the municipal library system
- Confers with management, City officials and the general public to provide information and to resolve problems and complaints.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures, and standards for efficient and effective operation and maintenance of department operations. Ensures compliance with established policies, processes and procedures, and applicable state laws.
- Determines appropriate staffing levels, work performance standards, and quality and quantity of services to be offered to the public, and the means and methods of offering those services.
- Cultivates community relationships and official partnerships and participates in planning and coordinating library programs and services with other community institutions and agencies; promotes the use of system resources and services through communication with community agencies, organizations and groups.
- Provides strategic and system-wide leadership in the development of short and long-term operating plans.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Collaborates with City Management and other departments to support city-wide initiatives such as strategic planning and customer service quality.
- Oversees the development and allocation of the department's budget including the forecast of funds for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Represents the City at various meetings including City Council meetings, staff meetings, professional association meetings, and other meetings as necessary and responds to inquiries regarding the Bryan + College Station Library System's functions as well as makes presentations when requested.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relations with the Library Advisory Board, Friends of the Library, school groups and other community organizations.
- Performs related duties as required.
Must possess the following:
- Master's degree in Library Science, Business or Public Administration plus at least six (6) years of professional library experience OR a Master’s degree in Business, Public Administration or similar field of study plus at least eight (8) years of professional library experience OR a Bachelor’s degree in Library Science, Business, Public Administration or similar field of study plus at least ten (10) years of professional library experience.
- At least three (3) year of management experience, preferably in a library setting.
- Significant knowledge and understanding of library operations.
$79,000-$100,000 (depending on qualifications). Note: This is the hiring range, not the complete salary range.
A City of Bryan online application is required. To view the complete description and finish the external application process. Please attach a resume at the time of application. You should receive an online confirmation upon successfully applying, and may follow/track your applications status online.