Advocacy and Public Policy Intern
LSI is currently seeking an Advocacy & Public Policy Intern for the 2019 Fall and 2020 Spring Semesters. This is an unpaid internship which will be based out of the Des Moines office. It offers a flexible schedule between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 to 15 hours per week.
Department: Marketing and Communications
Position reports to: Vice President of Marketing and Communications
Position Status: Volunteer (Ongoing, Short-term) / Intern/ AmeriCorps
Purpose/ Objective: The purpose of this internship position is to provide emerging human services professionals with an educational experience, where they will gain direct experience in a nonprofit setting, with a specific focus on advocacy and public policy, particularly in helping to develop systems, programs, and recommendations for self-advocacy and mobilizing LSI clients to effectively advocate for themselves as individuals and as part of organized efforts.
- Key responsibilities
- Research empowerment resources and best practices around self-advocacy, particularly for people with disabilities, people of refugee and immigrant status, and families experiencing trauma, poverty, and Adverse Childhood Experiences.
- Develop plan grounded in a strengths-based philosophy that enables LSI to provide clients with the skills, tools, and resources they need to effectively self-advocate
- Collaborate with LSI departments (including Services for People with Disabilities (SFPD), LSI Advocacy Team, and Marketing and Communications) to implement appropriate components of self-advocacy plan (may include writing/developing web and print materials, accessing clients, scheduling meetings, organizing advocacy groups, etc.)
- Attend Lutheran Day on the Hill in February 2020 to support clients and advocate on behalf of LSI and the communities we serve
- Time commitment
- Hours depend on intern’s availability
- Ideally, this internship will start Fall 2019 and conclude Spring 2020, after legislative session
- Training and support provided
- Intern will receive Mandatory Reporter, HIPAA, and Universal Precautions training and certifications
- Intern will receive access to all LSI online training materials provided to staff
- Intern will receive position-specific training from their direct supervisor
- Intern must be completing the experience for academic credit or a course requirement
- Intern must be 18 years or older
- Intern must maintain acceptable background checks and driving record history prior to and throughout time interning as required by LSI
- If transporting clients or agency vehicles, intern must maintain a valid driver’s license and meet agency insurance coverage requirements as required by position
QUALIFICATIONS: Interns must have a high school diploma, be 18 years or older, actively pursuing a college degree and able to pass background and reference checks.
Please attach a resume with your completed application.