We are currently seeking a Staff Accountant to work at our Chicago Regional Office. The Staff Accountant will work collaboratively with team members in the accounting department and operations and will have primary responsibility for preparing monthly financial statements for a portfolio of 15 to 20 properties from Habitat’s diverse business in residential property management, including communities within the luxury market, condominium associations, affordable and tax credit housing, commercial real estate and residential development entities.
- Preparation of financial statements in a timely and accurate manner, including completion of the following:
- Monthly review of general ledger for accuracy and completeness in accordance with GAAP.
- Preparation of all journal entries, including posting reclassifications and accruals as necessary, with appropriate supporting back-up documentation.
- Preparation of supporting work papers for all balance sheet accounts (accounts receivable, prepaid revenues and expenses, accruals, mortgage escrow balances, etc.).
- Review of the financial statement package to ensure that all system-prepared schedules reconcile to other system-prepared schedules, including documentation of any reconciling differences (security deposits, aged A/R, etc.).
- Analyze and identify income statement accounts requiring variance explanations and providing clear, comprehensive explanations for accounting related accounts while assisting property manager and supervisor with other variance explanations as needed.
- Preparation of income statements, balance sheets and statements of cash flow.
- Resolution and documentation of responses to all review notes generated.
- Review all bank reconciliations on a timely basis, with follow-up and resolution of all reconciling items in the next accounting period.
- Reconciliation and review of escrows held for real estate taxes, insurance and other reserves.
- Assist with preparation and review of annual property budgets and updated forecasts.
- Preparation of year end audit work papers and participation with auditor requests and questions.
- Set up and track fixed assets. Record depreciation and amortization for all operating projects.
- Assist with accounting for property acquisitions and dispositions, including review and summarization of related documents and preparation of journal entries, in accordance with GAAP.
- Communicate and provide information as needed to third party owners, auditors, lenders, and other team members.
- Preparation of construction draws for large capital projects or developments as needed.
- Assist property manager in any tenant billing disputes.
- Preparation and review of quarterly/mid-year financial statements, including forecasting.
- Participation in staff meetings and company special projects as requested.
Skills & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and CPA candidates are a plus
- Minimum 1 – 3 years relevant accounting experience, preferably in real estate
- Strong knowledge of financial statements and GAAP.
- Yardi experience a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, Word) and proven ability to work with and produce complex Excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to learn new software systems quickly.
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple tasks, work both independently and in a team environment, and grasp concepts quickly while meeting required reporting deadlines.
- Positive attitude and excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.