ACE EPIC NPS CA: San Francisco Maritime NHP - Exhibit Design - AmeriCorps
Summary: American Conservation Experience (ACE), a nonprofit in partnership with the National Park Service (NPS), is seeking ONE Exhibit Design Member interested in dedicating 48 weeks in support of the National Park Service by directly assisting the Visual Information Specialist with editing, design, layout, printing, mounting, and installation of exhibits at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. Member will also assist with design of regulation and event signage.
This excellent opportunity is ideal for an enthusiastic student or young professional who is deeply committed to the interpretation and preservation of our national parks!
Tentative Start Date: ~January 2020
Tentative End Date: ~December 2020
Location: San Francisco, California. Located in the Fisherman's Wharf neighborhood, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park offers visitors the sights, sounds, and stories of Pacific Coast maritime history. The Park includes a magnificent fleet of historic ships, a Visitor Center, Maritime Museum, Maritime Research Center, and Aquatic Park Historic District.
Project Website: To learn more about the SF Maritime National Historic Park, please visit the NPS website at: http://www.nps.gov/safr/index.htm. For more information regarding the ACE EPIC Internship Program, please visit: http://www.usaconservation.org/programs/epic-internship/.
Compensation: The ACE Intern will serve part time (20 hrs./week) and will receive a weekly living allowance of $270 paid biweekly for food and incidentals.
AmeriCorps Education Award: This individual placement is eligible for a 900-hour AmeriCorps Education award ($3,047.50) upon successful completion of internship service hours. Additional enrollment is required.
Position Description: The ACE Exhibits Design member will learn or sharpen their graphic design skills within the exhibit department at San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. Member will assist Visual Information Specialist with preparing exhibit files, proofreading and editing exhibit panel text, and designing event flyers and regulation signage, following National Park Service design standards and Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standards. Exhibits member will also gain experience using production machinery, such as wide format printer and laminator, to create final project deliverables. The member will also occasionally assist other park staff with cleaning and maintenance of exhibits throughout the Park.
- Assist Visual Information Specialist with completing project requests from divisions throughout the park.
- Assist Visual Information Specialist with preparing final design files for production contractors.
- Assisting with printing and mounting signage using in-house equipment.
- Assist with labeling, cleaning and organizing exhibit design studio and storage areas.
- Occasionally assist Cultural Resources staff with moving artifacts in warehouse or help Conservator with cleaning/monitoring artifacts on display as needed.
- Illustration or graphic design experience.
- Proficiency with 2D design programs such as In Design, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds.
- Must be comfortable on a ladder and working in restricted spaces.
- Willing and able to represent ACE and National Park Service in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Proven ability to be both self-directed/work alone, and be a positive, contributing member of a group.
- Proficient in English.
- Must be 18-35 years of age (Members must be 21-35 to apply for any ACE position. that requires or anticipates operation of agency or ACE vehicles for duties.)
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- A valid driver's license and an insurable driving record (documentation to be provided upon request.)
- Willing to undergo and must pass a federal criminal background check.
- Willing to wear ACE uniform when performing work in public areas.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, thoughtful cover letter, and contact information for three professional/academic references to the online application page.
Early consideration will be given as resumes are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position please feel free to contact the ACE EPIC NPS Division Recruitment Specialist, Dave Hecker at (801) 386-1629 or email@example.com.
EOE: American Conservation Experience provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Conservation Experience complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Please note: Marijuana and other controlled substances are not allowed at any time during the performance of duties or while on federal property, regardless of State law or qualified medical marijuana card status.