SALT: Serving and Learning Together
Serving and Learning Together (SALT) is a year-long, cross-cultural service experience. Through SALT, Christian young adults from Canada and the U.S. serve internationally in a wide variety of positions in fields like education, agriculture, health care, information technology, peace and more!
During their assignments SALTers are immersed in another culture, living with host families or communal settings such as dormitories or teacher housing in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin and Central America and the Middle East.
By living and serving in a new setting, SALTers
- Experience personal, professional and spiritual growth
- Help foster international goodwill and understanding
- Gain personal experience with, and commitment to, the global church
The best SALTers:
- Meet all the SALT criteria
- Are flexible and adaptable
- Don’t come as experts, but are ready to serve and learn from others
- Want to build relationships
- Have strong communication and conflict resolution skills
- Have a good sense of humor and can laugh at mistakes
- Are committed to learning a new language and culture
- Are willing to participate in a local church
This position is fully-supported. During SALT, MCC covers all assignment-related costs including:
- Orientation and re-entry retreats
- Food and household expenses
- MCC in-country retreat
- Full medical coverage
You also will receive a small monthly stipend for personal items (such as clothing, vacations and haircuts) and are eligible for assistance with repaying student loans.