Parent Engagement Specialist
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter organization in Los Angeles, serving 12,500 low-income students across 28 free, public charter high schools and middle schools.
We’re a well-established charter network with a proven record of success in preparing our students for college. Next, we must strive to ensure our students are set up for success in college and beyond. Now is the time to join us in working for long-lasting change for our students.
WHY JOIN ALLIANCE?
Alliance team members share a dedication to preparing Los Angeles students for long-term success. Our team members are also:
- Entrepreneurial: Our people have fresh ideas and are excited to implement them.
- Impactful: Our people are passionate about impacting the life trajectories of 12,500 students and their families in the Los Angeles area.
- Innovative: Our people are motivated to create unique solutions to make the work their own.
Under the leadership of the school principal and in collaboration with school staff members and community stakeholders, coordinate parent engagement activities to uphold the Alliance core value of working in partnership with parents. Primary job duties include organizing the school’s parent volunteer program to secure active and meaningful parent engagement at school and at home; educating parents to support learning and college-readiness; supporting recruitment and fundraising activities.
- Plan, carry out, and evaluate parent engagement activities in partnership with school staff members
- and community partners
- Establish a regular workshop series and serve as the school’s parent educator
- Identify and promote parent volunteer activities
- Track parent volunteer hours
- Create a welcoming school environment
- Establish and staff the school’s parent center
- Refer families to school and/or community resources
- Train parent leaders to support charter advocacy activities
- Support school recruitment activities
- Support school fundraising activities
- Participate in professional development
- Satisfy reporting requirements
- Provide translation services when needed
- Perform related duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or currently enrolled as an undergraduate at an accredited college or university.
- 2 years of related experience.
Skills, Beliefs, and Mindset:
- Parent engagement strategies to support learning and college-readiness
- K-12 instructional and assessment strategies
- Competent oral and written English usage;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Oral and written Spanish language usage preferred
- Lead planning efforts and implement and evaluate parent engagement programming
- Serve as a the school’s parent educator and facilitate educational workshops
- Train parent leaders
- Collaborate with school leaders, teachers, staff, parents and community members
- Promote the school and recruit new students and families
- Speak in front of large groups of school and community stakeholders
- Prepare annual reports
- Record and maintain various written records
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Belief in and alignment with Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships with teachers, coaches,
- school leaders and other home office departments
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a
- new future for urban education
- Understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools prides itself in offering its employees a competitive salary and excellent group benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage for the employee and her/his eligible dependents. Retirement benefits are also offered and include an employer match/contribution.
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are free public charter schools which do not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.