Staff Accountant, Tax
Renewable Energy Group (REG) is a leading provider of cleaner, lower carbon intensity products and services. We are an international producer of biomass-based diesel and North America’s largest producer of advanced biofuel. Over the past 10 years, we have averaged annual growth in both revenues and gallons sold of over 25%, and continue to be strategic in our capital allocation for future growth and opportunities on a global basis.
The purpose of this position is to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures, adherence to federal, state, local, and international tax laws, and be responsible for and assist with preparing federal, state and local indirect tax returns and related tax research.
This position will require the valid application of tax laws and regulations to achieve financial objectives, and will be a member of the US indirect tax (motor fuel, sales/use tax, property tax, etc.) team within our Global Tax Department. Key responsibilities include being part of a team that works with the entire tax life cycle, including the opportunity to collaborate and provide support to the business by reviewing and interpreting tax laws / regulations, contributing fresh and innovative ideas in the context of continuous improvement and participating on a team to ensure tax returns are scheduled, prepared, and timely filed.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for indirect taxes, shown through their ability and initiative to learn new concepts and technical skills; they will also be eager to conduct research, possess excellent oral and written communication skills, have an ability to independently solve problems, and possess great attention to detail. Furthermore, candidates should also have a positive attitude, possess excellent time management and organizational skills, and have the ability to work in a fluid and ever-changing environment as the business continues to expand and grow.
Life Cycle of Indirect Tax
• Learn and understand how the company captures data through its internal processes and within technology systems
• Prepare federal, state and local indirect tax returns
• Accurately prepare workpapers and document positions in support of filed tax returns by collecting, analyzing, and organizing relevant information and research
• Timely file indirect tax returns and make payments in relevant jurisdictions
• Execute clear correspondence with tax authorities regarding questions, the audit process, notices received, and other matters
• Prepare documentation to support and track communications with taxing authorities, during the tax life cycle and audits
• Perform data, account, and other reconciliations, as needed, to support internal controls and processes
• Assist with audit process by gathering necessary documents and information requested by taxing authorities
• Understand and participate in internal operations and processes that support business activities
• Conduct research regarding federal, state, and local indirect tax laws, and present findings to supervisors and tax management
• Document research and conclusions in memos relating to proposed and existing business transactions
• Analyze fact patterns and logically apply tax law to support positions within tax policies
• Collaborate with internal stakeholders to achieve issue resolution and common ground
• Participate on special projects as a contributor by gathering information, conducting research, and performing analysis
• Prioritize projects and effectively communicate to stakeholders in accomplishing individual, team, and company goals
• Contribute to internal processes needed to support business objectives and manage tax risk
• Achieve working knowledge of indirect tax laws and reporting requirements
• Learn and understand how the company transacts business to help identify innovative ways to deliver results and accomplish goals
• Understand and utilize technology to improve efficiencies, accuracy, and manage tax risk
• Identify areas for improvement by utilizing tax law and business knowledge to reach team objectives
• Recommend process improvements and / or new technologies that will enhance efficiency and effectiveness
Education Required: 4 year bachelor’s degree - Accounting, Finance, or related business degree
Experience Required: 0-6 years of accounting, tax or financial experience; some knowledge of Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne or other enterprise software programs like SAP and People Soft and its applications a plus.
Advanced Excel skills
Strong verbal and written communication skills with strong attention to detail
Extensive math and accounting skills
Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Special skills or knowledge preferred:
REG is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.