TYPE: Full-Time, 40 hours/week, One (1) Year Contract
START DATE: ASAP
SALARY LEVEL: $20-$22 per hour, Commensurate with experience
SUMMARY: Huntington Medical Research Institutes is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to improving lives through patient-focused scientific research. Our brand-new state of the art laboratory anchors the biomedical corridor on South Fair Oaks in Pasadena. Our scientists' research focuses on the connection between the brain and heart, developing diagnostic tools to help treat common diseases of these vital organs that affect every family.
The Research Technician’s primary purpose is to isolate and prepare rodent and human biological samples and perform various biochemical assays to identify their composition and activity. Some techniques that may be used include enzyme activity assays, western blotting, ELISA, PCR, chromatography-mass spectrometry, and tissue culture. Some in-house training will be offered for the specific methods and equipment.
The Research Technician reports directly to the Senior Research Technician / Technology Transfer Specialist, and interfaces with other HMRI staff members from the neurosciences department (research investigators, research scientists, and/or laboratory supervisors).
The term of employment is for one (1) year. There is no guarantee that the activity will result in further employment with HMRI.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Carries out technical aspects of scientific studies and experiments.
- Will be involved in the analysis, presentation, and writing of data.
- The Research Technician also performs a wide range of job duties as assigned and requested.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with two years’ experience or MS degree with one year of experience or equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Outstanding computer skills. Must be proficient with MS Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good judgment and decision-making capability.
- Observes laboratory safety and security procedures.
- Uses laboratory equipment and materials properly.
- Must be a reliable and conscientious self-starter, with excellent attention to detail and ability to coordinate multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, building respect, consensus, and trust across reporting lines.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and speak or listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands, fingers, and arms to operate personal computers, telephones, other business-related equipment, and work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally exposed to airborne particles or toxic chemicals, bloodborne and airborne pathogens or infectious materials.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include: Close vision; Distance vision; Color vision; Peripheral vision; Depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
TO APPLY: (Applicants who fail to provide all required materials will not be considered.)
Please email cover letter, resume, and list of professional references (PDF format) to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
DATE WRITTEN: 10/30/2019
EEO POLICY: HMRI provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.