Senior Accounting Specialist
Senior Accounting Specialist
Job ID 46594
Apply through the external application link on Handshake
Apply on or before 11/30/19
The Senior Accounting Specialist supervises personnel in the Ringling Museum's Accounting Department and performs highly specialized, complex accounting work ensuring sound fiscal management and compliance. Oversees data information in the FSU and FSU Foundation systems.
· Supervises the work of staff (to include Accounting Assistants, Associates, and Specialist) in the Accounting Department. Makes hiring decisions and conducts employee performance evaluations in consultation with the Assistant Director. Coordinates daily work activities to ensure delivery of accurate accounting services to the Ringling Museum. Reviews monthly schedules and reconciliations done by Accounting staff to ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness. Ensures work performed is in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations by auditing, analyzing, and verifying accounting activities.
· Prepares monthly financial statements for The Ringling Museum’s E&G, Auxiliaries, and Foundation budgets. Responsible for compiling financial reports and statements used by the museum to support sound financial decisions. Reconciles the Ringling’s Investment accounts monthly and provides analysis of account activity and earnings. Develops management reports and participates in any projects designed to expand or enhance the financial or operational systems to meet departmental needs. Monitors correcting journal entries to ensure the accuracy of financial reports. Produces reports or statements for management, Ringling Foundation Board, and FSU as needed. Resolves complex accounting and budgeting problems.
· Responsible for highly complex professional accounting work. Conducts financial analyses of departmental operations and prepares monthly interdepartmental budget and project reports. Prepares regular and ad-hoc financial and operational reports as necessary to ensure good business practices and financial stability. Produces reports or statements for management, Ringling Foundation Board, and FSU as needed.
· Provides interpretation and implementation of University fiscal and accounting administrative policies and procedures. Works with the Assistant Director on developing departmental accounting policies and procedures. Makes recommendations and assists with the planning, designing, implementing and administering of accounting programs necessary to support the operations of The Ringling Museum.
· Monitors the business activities of the museum through maintenance and control of financial records. Responsible for the accuracy of the general ledger accounts in the Financial Edge accounting system and oversight of the general ledger function of the FSU foundation eCRM database. . Supervises revenue and expense inputs into Financial Edge and the General Ledger. Oversees the monitoring and review FSU and Ringling Foundation P-Card purchases.
· Assists with the coordination of complex internal and external audits where accurate, detailed financial reports are a key component of achieving audit compliance. Works with contracted audit firm to coordinate annual audit for the Ringling Foundation; reviews and provides information and schedules as required. Advises and makes recommendations to Museum management as needed for compliance with audit requirements. Compiles information for monthly tax returns required by FSU.
· Bachelor's degree and four years of experience in accounting related experience; or a high school diploma or equivalency and eight years of experience in accounting or related experience.
· (Note: a combination of post high school education and accounting related experience equal to eight years.)
· Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices of accounting, budgeting, and preparation of financial reports.
· Ability to review and reconcile financial data for accuracy, completeness, and compliance.
· Previous supervisory experience and ability to train and supervise employees.
· Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
· Bachelor's degree in Accounting and 4 years relevant experience.
· Experience in non-profit and/or governmental accounting.
Anticipated Salary Range
Anticipated salary range of up to $55,000 annually (commensurate with experience) + Florida state benefits available.
To learn more about all the benefits and perks offered for this role (including vacation, sick, holiday, retirement, etc.) please visit http://hr.fsu.edu/?page=benefits/benefits_home.
While the primary working hours for this position are Monday through Friday between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, the incumbent may be required to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends, special events, and holidays based on the needs of the Ringling.
About the Ringling
The Ringling is a preeminent center for the arts, history, performance, and learning that is dedicated to bringing the past and contemporary culture to life through extraordinary visitor experiences. From its inception, The Ringling has joined the diverse visual traditions and theatrical spectacle of yesterday with the genre-defying global practitioners of today. A place of exploration, discovery and respite, The Ringling's campus in Sarasota, Florida - which includes the Museum of Art, Circus Museum, a historic home, an 18th-century theater and bayfront gardens - is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As the State Art Museum of Florida and part of Florida State University, The Ringling fulfills an important educational mission. The Ringling offers formal and informal programs of study serving as a major resource for students, scholars and lifelong learners of every age across the region, country, and around the world. For more information, please visit www.ringling.org.
For more information, or for technical assistance, please contact Ringling Human Resources at 941-359-5700 ext. 2605 or email@example.com.
This is an A&P (Administrative and Professional) position.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check, to include fingerprinting. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How to Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf