IMD Summer Student Intern - Private Markets Data Analytics
WHO WE ARE:
The Teacher Retirement System of Texas is the largest public retirement system in Texas, serving more than 1.5 million people. Innovation, technology, and collaboration make the difference as we strive to continue earning your trust every day. TRS improves the retirement security of Texas public education employees through our 'best in class' investment management and delivery of pension and health care benefits.
Our Mission: Improving the retirement security of TRS members by prudently investing and managing the Trust assets and delivering benefits that make a positive difference in their lives.
The IMD Student Intern – Private Markets Data Analytics performs entry level investment portfolio analysis work. Work involves assisting data analytics and investment staff with developing portfolio insights, research and analysis and performing special projects, with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision of Data Analytics team. This position reports to the Senior Managing Director of Private Markets.
Note: This position is a full-time, limited term assignment
Benefits of a TRS Investment Management Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in Investment activities and initiatives. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in Private Markets Data Analytics. The assignments will be determined by the experience and interest of the candidate and the needs of each department.
This position is scheduled to start in June and will end in August 2020.
Salary will be dependent upon education level:
Undergraduate (Senior) - $25/hour
Graduate Student - $40/hour
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Data and Analysis
- Conducts analytics projects with support from Private Markets team, in the following areas: private equity, real estate, and energy, infrastructure and natural resources.
- Assists in performing fundamental and statistical investment portfolio analysis, including investment computations.
- Assists the Private Markets team in analyzing performance attribution and risk management.
- Assists in researching and analyzing national, international, macro/micro economic, and/or business conditions that directly affect agency investments.
- Assists the Private Markets team in performing due diligence analysis for potential investment opportunities.
- Assists the Private Markets team in reviewing and monitoring quality of data used in performance and attribution reporting, including underlying holdings of companies, properties and other assets.
- Assists Private Markets in automation of analysis, reporting and quality controls.
- Projects and Communication
- Conducts projects with support from Private Markets team, in the following areas: private equity, real estate, and energy, infrastructure and natural resources.
- Participates in group projects as assigned by Investment Management.
- Provides timely written or oral reports of analysis and recommendations to Investments staff and management.
- Ensures that the agency Ethics Policy is adhered to in relationships with general partners, external managers, brokers, research suppliers, and other vendors.
- Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Must be currently enrolled in and actively attending an undergraduate degree program with a major in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts or a related area, at an accredited college or university, and must complete their junior year (90 hours) by the start of the internship OR Must be currently enrolled in and actively attending a graduate program in finance, accounting, business administration or a related area.
- 3.25 GPA
- Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
- Experience or education in institutional investment research, accounting, financial analysis, statistical analysis or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies, and fundamental investment factors.
- Statistical concepts, methods, and models, and their application to investments.
- Using a computer in a Windows environment with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and other business software to prepare correspondence, spreadsheets, charts, and reports.
- Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
- Planning, organizing, and prioritizing work assignments to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced and changing environment, and in completing detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment
- Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
- Work effectively in a professional team environment.
Must be able to:
- regularly, reliably, and punctually attend work;
- show flexibility and adaptability toward changes in assignments and work schedules;
- adhere to the agency’s internal management policies and procedures; and
- exhibit work behaviors consistent with agency core values.