Analyst - Paying Taxes
The Development Economics Vice Presidency (DEC) seeks to increase understanding of development policies and programs by providing intellectual leadership and analytical services to the World Bank Group and the development community. DEC is the research and data arm of the World Bank Group. The Doing Business report produces quantitative indicators and analysis of specific laws and regulations that influence firms’ decisions to invest, create jobs and improve productivity in 190 economies. Indicator results are presented in an annual report titled “Doing Business” on the project’s website (http://www.doingbusiness.org), in academic papers and in country reports that inform advisory work and operations for client countries.
A highly-motivated ST Consultant is invited to join DECDB to primarily work on the paying taxes indicator. The position requires good knowledge of accounting and/or tax rules (or demonstrated interest in the field of taxation), ability to work in a fast-paced and multicultural environment, strong analytical and research skills as well as robust detail-orientation.
ST Consultant position does not offer any financial compensation for relocation and does not cover any of the benefits such as pension, health insurance and maternity leave. The starting date will be in January/February 2020.
Duties of the consultancy will include, but not be limited to the following:
· Update an assigned set of regulatory indicators for a specified subset of countries. Administer questionnaires to local experts and conduct all the necessary follow up.
· Analyze and assess an assigned indicator’s data on a country by country basis. Verify survey responses with primary data sources, check survey responses against each other and follow up with respondents until a final, verified country profile is produced.
· Research indicator-specific laws and regulations through primary data sources and publicly available information to support coding decisions.
· Maintain and expand the contributor database.
· Produce comparative data analyses related to the assigned set of indicators.
· Prepare high-level written correspondence documents such as communiques/letters/explanatory notes to Governments and World Bank Group staff.
· Present Doing Business data to government officials.
· Substantially contribute to several of the Doing Business functions: production, website, media, data analysis, etc.
· Take part in data collection missions, as requested.
· Provide general support to the project, as required.
· Applicant must have an advanced degree (Masters level) in MBA, Accounting, Finance, Economics or equivalent.
· Relevant professional/academic experience and knowledge of tax business regulatory issues are strongly preferred.
· A candidate should possess strong research and analytical skills.
· A candidate should have experience pertaining to private sector development.
· Excellent command of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Working knowledge of STATA is a plus.
· Proven ability to work without close supervision, to do effective multitasking, and to deal with rapidly shifting priorities under pressure.
· Ability to operate in a multicultural environment and build effective working relations with local and external counterparts.
· Well-developed interpersonal and team building skills.
· High level of energy, initiative, persistence, positive attitude and drive for results given the agreed objectives and deadlines. Also, organized, patient and detail-oriented.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are essential. Professional fluency in one or more of these languages (Arabic, French, Russian or Spanish) is required. Language skills indicated in CVs will be tested during the interviews.
· Candidates are expected to be well familiar with the project as part of interview preparation.