President, Haskell Indian Nations University
This position is part of the Haskell Indian Nations University, Bureau of Indian Education. As a President you will be responsible for developing and executing immediate, mid-term and long-range program plans for a four year degree university.
Open & closing dates: 11/04/2019 to 11/22/2019
Pay scale & grade: GS 15
Salary: $124,290 to $161,575 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Location: Lawrence, KS
Travel and relocation expenses will be authorized in accordance with the Federal Travel Regulations, with the exception of real estate expenses under the contractor-provided home sale contract.
As a President GS-1701-15, your typical work assignments may include the following under supervision:
- Responsible for developing and executing immediate, mid-term and long-range program plans
- Provides vision, leadership, and advocacy for the college
- Responsible for all aspects of administration of a comprehensive four-year college
- Directly supervises professional, administrative, and support staff.
- Makes decisions on work problems presented by subordinates supervisors and project/team leaders, or by contractors.
- Responsible for furthering the goals of equal employment opportunity (EEO) and diversity.
- Identifies and analyzes the educational needs of college level programs, courses, curriculum design, Indian culture and tradition that meets the needs of Indian students to provide an academic program compatible with those offered in a four year baccalaureate degree.
- Responsible for formulation budget process and demonstrates ability to allocate, monitor and control assigned program budgets and expenditures.
Conditions of Employment:
- US CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED
- BACKGROUND SECURITY INVESTIGATION WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL NEW HIRES
- APPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 2 YR TRIAL OR 1 YR PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ONLINE
- VALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVERS LICENSE IS REQUIRED
- TRAVEL AND RELOCATION EXPENSES WILL BE PAIDAPPOINTMENT MAY BE SUBJECT TO A 1 YR SUPERVISORY PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- INCUMBENT WILL BE REQUIRED TO FILE AN OGE FORM 450
- RECRUITMENT AND RELOCATION INCENTIVE MAY BE PAID WITH A SIGNED AGREEMENT
Applicants must meet the qualification requirements contained in the OPM Standards. For this position, they are listed below.
Basic education requirement for GS-15 President Haskell Indian Nations University position. (You MUST submit a copy of your official transcripts to support your response that you have selected.)
I possess a Degree that included or was supplemented by major study in education or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position.
I possess a combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in education, or in a subject-matter field appropriate to the position, plus appropriate experience or additional course work that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in A above.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
I have one (1) year of specialized experience that equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. This experience is related to the work of the position and equivalent to at least the GS-14 level in the Federal service or equivalent as described in the vacancy announcement. Examples include: serving as an Administrator, Provost or President of a university, college or institution, that was responsible for the overall aspects of the administration of an institution; including student recruitment and admissions; student retention; registration and records; academic advisement; financial aid; residential programs; psychological and career counseling; student life; all academic programs; budget; human resources; facilities; institutional advancement and external relations. Developed additional post-secondary training programs and activities in accordance with policies and procedures, including planning and executing program action plans in consonance with, Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA) and other initiatives, such as training infrastructure needed for advanced technical instruction and university transfer degrees focused on improved student academic achievement.
Only experience and education obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year (52 weeks) of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service.
THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT IS BEING RE-ADVERTISED TO SOLICIT ADDITIONAL APPLICATIONS. APPLICANTS WHO APPLIED PREVIOUSLY NEED NOT REAPPLY UNLESS SUBMITTING UPDATED AND/OR MISSING INFORMATION
*** VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 22, 2019 ***
Applicants are responsible for providing documentation that the educational requirements have been met. To qualify based on education you must submit a legible copy of your transcripts. Official transcripts are required upon selection if you qualified based on education.
Education must have been obtained from an accredited or pre-accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements if you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
For further information on creditable education visit:
EDUCATION: To qualify based on education; submit a copy of your transcripts or list of courses with credit hours, major, and grade-point average or class ranking. Application materials will not be returned.
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume (must be current/updated and include the following):
- Work Experience:
- Position title
- Dates of employment (include month/year)
- Hours worked per week
- Current supervisor's name and telephone number
- Duties (Please be specific and include any accomplishments)
- References (include complete name and telephone number)
- Employer - must be within the past 5 years
- Professional - must provide three (3)
- Most recent SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action" showing you are/were in the competitive service and the highest grade or promotion potential held (if applying as a status candidate with current or former Federal Service)
- DD-214 (member copy 4), SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
- Noncompetitive appointment authority documentation, if applicable
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Inter-agency Career Transition Assistance Program Documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)?
- OF-306 (Declaration of Federal Employment) sign and dated: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OF0306.pdf
- Applicant Screening Questionnaire: https://bie.edu/cs/groups/xbie/documents/collection/idc012837.pdf
- College transcript(s), if the position has an education requirement.
2. Other supporting documents:
- Form BIA 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment (required for claiming Indian Preference). The form must be completed by the appropriate official with the federally-recognized tribe where the applicant is enrolled as a member. No other form will be accepted.
- Cover Letter, optional
NOTE: Persons submitting incomplete applications will be given credit only for the information they provide. The applicant is responsible for submitting all required documentation in support of their application in order to receive full credit for their Indian preference, veteran preference, experience, training, and/or education. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED FROM THIS OFFICE.
DRIVING REQUIREMENT (Required only at time of appointment): Incumbent may be required, as an incidental duty, to operate a government-owned or leased motor vehicle, in the performance of duties, therefore, a valid driver's license is required. Incumbent must have a safe driving record within the three-year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607 and be able to meet the safe driving requirements of the Bureau of Indian Education.
FINANCIAL STATEMENT REQUIREMENTS (Required only at time of appointment): The candidate selected for this position must meet conflict of interest requirements of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Standard Form 450, Executive Branch Confidential Financial Disclosure Report).